Dawn

I take Crutchie and immediately throw him on my back. He whimpers and weakly holds onto me. I look through the dirty glass of the window. Snyder is glaring back at me and charging the window.
"Davey, Race, Specs let's move!" I holler at them. Davey takes off down the fire escape the other boys quickly at his heels. I follow running full speed away from this place. Away from Snyder. Crutchie let's out muffles cries into my shoulder and I realize how badly this must hurt him. I try to tune him out. Keeping with my rhythm and just running.
"We gotta go up Manhattan. We can lose em in there." Davey yells ducking into an ally. We all follow him trusting that he knows what he's talking about.
"Jack...can we stop...can we stop running?" Crutchie asks his voice barely a whisper.
"Listen ta me Crutchie. We hafta run. We's gotta get outta here." I say turning my head just enough to see his sand colored hair pressed into my shoulder. God Crutchie...please be okay. Sirens scream in the distance. Snyder really wants us. I think to myself. "Let's hope that ain't for us." I yell to the other boys. Keep em calm Jack. We run through ally's and side streets. Eventually the sirens die down and fade away. Our pace slows and we catch our breath. "How far are we from home?" I ask.
"I don't know." Race answers and we all look at Davey who is looking at a street sign.
"Far. We better start walking now if we want to make it back by noon." With that we walk. Pushing past people on the street. People glanced at us as we passed. Most shoot us dirty looks but some people look concerned. I turn my head to look at Crutchie.
"You okay?" I ask quietly, making my voice sound gentle. He stirs a bit tilting his head up just enough for me to see his hazel eyes and the bags that accompany them.
"Are we almost home?" He asks his voice badly a whisper. I nod looking at Davey.
"How much longer Davey?" I ask following him up the street.
"We are just a few streets away." He answers looking around. I look as well, and sigh in relief as I recognize the familiar street corners. I see faces on the corners looking at me with smiles.
"Jack! Crutchie!" A voice hollers. My head snaps around and I see Romeo standing and waving at me. "We was looking for you!" He says with a smile. Romeo's smile drops quickly and he looks around. "But we ain't the only ones looking for you's. The Delancey brothers have been askin about you. Says they gonna bust up your mug...we gotta get you's back." With that he takes off down an ally. We follow him close taking sharp turns every once and a while until we reach the abandoned building we call home. Several newsies are outside looking at us, the others staring out windows. Their smiling faces don't even get a reaction out of me as I walk in and up the stairs. They notice and clear out of my way as Davey explains the situation to them. I reach the roof top and lay Crutchie down on the old mattress that's up there. He lets out a scream and his face contorts with pain. I stare at him.
"Oh god Crutch..." I say looking him over. Slowly and carefully I pull his torn and bloody shirt revealing his horribly bruised chest.
"They got me pretty good huh?" He asks a chuckle escaping his lips. "That's because I was being a wise guy to Snyder." This caused me to laugh.
"What have I told ya? That big mouth of yours is going to get you in trouble." He smiles a bit but it doesn't last.
"It hurts so bad Jack...why did you leave me? I was calling you Jack...I was so scared I couldn't..." Crutchie's words fade into sobs and I hold him the best I can.
"I'm so sorry...I didn't mean for this to happen. I didn't mean for him to get you."
"Then why did you let him?" Those words hit me hard. Why did I? I knew the answer of course it was because I'm to valuable. Imagine that...I'm worth more than him. With out me the strike would be over. But was it worth abandoning him?
"I'm sorry." Is all I manage and he buries his head into my lap. We sit there and I look at the sky, I feel his breath on my leg and am happy he's back. But we are far from safe. And this is far from over. But for now, I'll sit and hold him and keep him safe.