Seize the Day

One by one the kids arrived in Newsies square. Some kids couldn'ta been more than 5 others looked about as old as I was. Girls showed up to looking just as ragged as the boys. So many kids from all over the city started to come. Girls from the sweat shops, boys from the slaughterhouses. They all came, that's when we moved. All of the Newsies started to march on Pulitzers building. I held Crutchie's hand the entire time excitement filling my chest. Catherine walked with Davey smiling. Everyone was excited especially me, Catherine said that she had a surprise waiting for me and the others. As we walked into the building the elevator operator was smiling.
"Hello boys! Going up?" The kid asked a smile on his face.
"Yes we are." I said offering a warm smile back. We got into the elevator and went up to the top floor. As soon as the doors opened I walked up to the office doors and threw them open.
"Mr. Pulitzer, have we got some news you you." I say a huge grin in my face. He looks furious.
"Do you have any idea what you are doing?! Everyone throughout the city is blaming me for the strike!" I chuckle.
"I mean it was your fault Pulitzer. Now I'm here to negotiate a few things." He chuckles it's dry and cold.
"I will not negotiate with simple minded children." He spits. Catherine walk out of the crowd of boys in the door.
"Father! Why are you so cruel! These boys are so kinda and sweet. And without them your paper would not sell any papers! Kids all around the city have to fend for themselves! Fighting tooth and nail to support themselves and their folks! They get scraps father! You haven't seen what I have seen, children living in dirty abandoned houses! It's not right they deserve the chance to start a life! Even if it's a penny more it's a start!" She finishes breathing hard her passionate eyes tearing up. Pulitzers looking at her his eye wide with shock.
"Catherine...I'm sorry but-" She cuts him off.
"Father...please..." He sighs heavily.
"Everyone leave the room I wish to talk to Jack alone." Catherine looks at him for a long moment before walking out of the room. The boys follow her muttering to themselves. Then it's just me and Pulitzer.
"Jack Kelly, we are now face to face. We can finally make a deal." I feel the shock come over my face.
"A deal? Well I'll start then, we's want the price to go back to what it usta be. We's also want you to buy back what we don't sell."
"And how do I know that you boys won't take more papers than you can sell?"
"Ain't no newsies going to lug around papes he can't sell. Plus we's will sell more papes in the long run." I finish crossing my arms. "Lastly I want you to call the governor over here so we's can speak with him." Pulitzer sighs.
"And if I agree you will sell papers? And end this strike of yours?" He asks looking over my face carefully.
"You's have my word." I answer before spitting in my hand and extending it to him. "We's got a deal."
"That's disgusting. But yes we have a deal the governor will be here tomorrow." He utters.
"That's just business." I retort. He spits in his hand as well and we exchange a handshake. I smile after that and run out of the office. "Newsies!" I announce quieting everyone down. "We won!" I scream smiling and laughing. Crutchie looks at me pure joy on his face and tears in his eyes. The boys all cheer and start to celebrate. Catherine is clapping and looking at me. Davey pulls the four of us into a hug.
"Nice going Jack, thanks for saving our skins." Davey says smiling at me.
"Oh you ain't here the best part. We's got ourselves a meeting with the governor!" Crutchie goes wide eyed.
"Governor Roosevelt! No way Jack!" I smile and nod.
"Yes way now you's better get in your fanciest dress." Crutchie laughs.
"I think I got a tie somewhere." I nudge him with me elbow and laugh. The whole atmosphere is euphoric, we slowly clear out of the building and into the street. We have ourselves a makeshift parade. The boys carry their banners high, smiles on their faces. Kids on the street smile and cheer. I can see the headlines now David Beats Goliath or something like that. Crutchie holds my hand as we walk. He was so happy, for the first time in his life he felt like he truly made a difference. It made me happy as well and as our parade made it back home all of us were at peace. I led Crutchie up the stairs to my pent house. There we sat watching the sun set.
"Jack." He said finally breaking the long silence. "Thank you." I was shocked for a moment.
"Thanks for what Crutchie?" I ask turning to look at him.
"For saving me, for saving us all. Without you we would've been goners." He looked at me, his eyes twinkling with the glow of the setting sun. He was so perfect, so wonderfully perfect. He deserves the world, I'll make sure that he gets it. I quickly plant a kiss on his lips. He stares at me shock filling his eyes before kissing me back. The feeling of his lips on mine makes me forget everything that has happened to me. All of the pain, the torment, the longing to go somewhere better. It all washes away. The moment ends with me pulling back. Looking at his face, blush covers it and he smiles at me.
"Your welcome." I say back. He hugs me and I hug him back. The whole world seems to settle and the sun finally sets. Both of us know that now and forever we can do anything. No matter what.