Confrontation

With in minutes the rally turns into a full on brawl. Davey and I are running around, Davey talking our boys out of fight and me helping boys fight. We know we have to contain this so it doesn't turn into a bloodbath. The cops are already trying to get at a group of boys from the upper east side and my gut tells me more of em are on their way. I look around for Crutchie, seeing if he is out of harms way and for Catherine, who was reporting on the whole thing from a vantage point. I don't see either of them but shake it off. It's fine Crutchie is with Race and Romeo and all the boys is looking out for Catherine. Then I look over to see Race soaking a cop in the face and Romeo trying to take down a goon. My stomach drops. With lighting fast speed I am on Race, ripping him off of the cop.
"Where is Crutchie?!" I yell in his face irritation spiking my voice.
"Relax Jack he's with Catherine. I saw's them a little bit ago. They's fine." I sigh in relief at this but I am still very annoyed.
"They better be Race." I saw before turning back into the crowd. Davey is running around trying to get all of the newsies under control. I stand up on the box again. "Newsies! Scatter! I will talk to all of you's later about the next rally! Scatter!" With that the newsies start to regroup and many of them take off down the street. Spot Collins waves to me before running with his group of boys. As the rally becomes less organized as boys dash left and right. Slowly they all disperse until jut me and my boys remain. Davey starts to take a head count as we walk up the street.
"We are missing Catherine, Crutchie, Specs and Romeo." Davey says recounting the group. My heart skips a beat when he lists the names.
"I want you boys to fan out. Look for them then regroup here." With that boys take off yelling out street names. I walk down Main Street looking at all of the people. Three boys Jack. You lost three boys and Catherine. The only report that pays you any mind. The girl who has supported the movement sense day one. I shake away the thought. No...they are together and they are fine they have to be. I turn a corner quickly and look around to see Specs sprinting down it. "Specs?! Where the hell were you?!" I yell at him. He is panting trying to catch his breath.
"He got em. Shit Jack he got em." I shake my head confused.
"What do you mean he got em? Who's he?" Specs manages to catch his frantic breath.
"Pulitzer. His goons snatches Crutchie and Catherine at the rally. They's grabbed Romeo as me and him bolted." I feel my eyes widen. Panic fills my mind, but I shake it off. Panicking won't help.
"Tell the boys to meet at the theater tonight. I'll be back." With that I turn up the street Specs yelling questions at me. I ignore him and keep walking. My nerves are starting to get the best of me the closer I walk to Pulitzers office.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I glance between the Delancey brothers. Romeo is sitting next to me staring them down.
"Mr. Pulitzer said he'd pay us a lotta cash if we's got Jack." Oscar says. "But instead a' getting Jack.We's tell Pulitzer that if we's get his friends. Jack I'll come running right to em'."
"He gave us five bucks for each of you's. Then he gave us 10 for the girl." Morris chimes in. "Didn't know he was a fan a younger women." Romeo bolts to his feet.
"You bastards! Jack won't come to you's! He's smart! He knows what he's doing!" Morris punches him across the face and Romeo gets knocked onto his butt. I close my eyes tight and hold my hands together. They are shaking like mad and I feel white hot panic in my chest. I hear someone sit next to my and an arm snakes around my shoulders.
"Another perk is that our friend Crutchie has returned." Oscars voice makes my blood run cold, I can almost see the smile on his face.
"Please...I don't want no trouble..." I start my shoulders shaking. Oscar laughs.
"Well that's just a shame because you are in trouble. If Mr. Pulitzer gets Jack then it's off to the refuge with you and your little friends. Plus Morris and I need a new punching bag." They both laugh. I just look at my feet not talking back. I don't want them to have any reason to hurt me or Romeo for that matter.
"So cripple did you miss us?" Morris sneers and laughs. "We sure missed you." Morris grabs my ankle and yanks me forward. I let out a scream my leg throbbing. "Jack Kelly is as good as dead. So is this little strike of yours." Just as the words flew out of his mouth the door opened. Someone called for the brothers who proceeded to bolt up the stairs. I look up the stair case and see Snyder standing in the door way. That's when I know that Jack was here and he was in trouble.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk into Pulitzers office, I can feel the anger surging through my veins. I shove the large wooden door open and enter the office. Pulitzer is already standing as if he was expecting me. "Where the hell are they?" Is the first sentence out of my mouth. He laughs.
"Now now, calm down Jack. Your friends are fine." He says calmly.
"Bullshit. Where are they?" I start by he cuts me off.
"Well that young lovely reporter of yours is near by."
"I'll tell her you said so." He laughs and grabs the top of one of his chairs.
"No need she can hear for herself. Can't you darling?" Wth that he spins the chair and I see Catherine sitting there. My eyes go wide and I stare at her.
"Jack I can explain later. Run you have to run! Get out of here while you still can!"
"That's enough my dear. Mr. Snyder?" Snyder walks out from behind a wall. His face is just as cold and full of hate as it always was. That cold face that could beat and torture children. I spin on my heel and start toward the door only for the Delancey brothers to grab me.
"Does anyone else feel a noose tightening?" He laughs as I'm pulled forward. "Put him in the basement with the others. We will resolve this issue later. Until then do with them what you wish. Jack I will talk to you later, I have a little deal I wish to make."