δεκαέξι

"Paris, promise me that you will go back to the palace alive. Promise me that you will fight Menelaus and that you will remember every strategy Hector and I taught you" I said to Paris as I watched him get ready for his solo combat with Menelaus. Paris turned and looked at me.

"I know you got mad at me for bringing Helen here in Troy" He said making me smile gently as I played with my dagger.

"Not mad, Paris, furious." I replied honestly without meeting his eye.

"I know you're against our relationship but I wanted to thank you for not saying anything bad to Helen or to the both of us. Thank you for always being so protective"

My eyes watered at his words. I nodded at him and sniffed. "You will always be my little brother, Paris" I said and touched his cheek.

"I love you, sister" He said and touched my hand that was pressed on his cheek.

"I love you too, brother"

After kissing Paris' forehead, I went out of his room to change. After my handmaiden attended to my needs, I watched myself infront of the mirror as they maidens dressed me in a baby blue gown with white detailings which I have picked earlier. They must've wondered why I chose a colored gown instead of a white gown but thank the gods they didn't say anything.

As they finished styling my hair, I closed my eyes as they applied the familiar heavy headdress that I used to love wearing since it was a gift from Hector. "Thank you." I smiled to my handmaidens and dismissed them. Under my dress, I slipped my dagger on my thigh that had a strap to hold it. Finally, I looked at my reflection on the huge wall mirror, just right beside my wall.

I still had some bruises and my foot was still swollen but I could walk by myself now. The blue gown looked unusual to me but it felt right. The pearl necklace that Achilles gave me was still clasped around my neck.

Will Achilles be there?

I sighed and went down the stairs to meet my family. I hugged Father and Hector before turning to Paris who had Helen by his side, holding his hand tightly.

"Remember what I said, brother" I whispered in his ear as we hugged. He nodded and kissed my temple before turning to Hector.

They both left and Father escorted Helen, Andromache and I to the top of the palace where Father usually watches whenever there's a combat. I sat on his right and Andromache sat beside me. Helen was at the railings and watched as Hector and Paris walked towards Agamemnon and Menelaus.

"Helen" I called making her turn around. It was my first time to talk to her ever since we left Sparta and it felt foreign.

"Come sit with us" I said and gestured at the seat beside my Father. Her eyes widening with what I said, she quickly nodded before gracefully walking towards the chair.

"All my life I've prayed against this day." Father said quietly as Helen sat beside him. I pressed my lips into a thin line and didn't say anything, keeping my eyes on the field.

"Yes, my king." Helen said.

"Call me father, dear child."

I turned to them and I saw Helen startled by what Father told him. She hesitated for a moment before looking at him.

"Forgive me, father. For..." She said, bowing her head in shame. "...bringing this."

Father shook his head and smiled sadly at Helen."I blame you for nothing. Everything is in the hands of the gods."

"Besides, how could I blame anyone for falling in love with Paris?"

I turned to the battlefield and watched Hector give a hug to my brother before riding his horse. Paris looked up and met my gaze. I gave him a short nod and watched as he turned to Father and Helen before facing Menelaus.

As soon as they both faced one another, Menelaus charged at Paris and swings mightily, trying to knock my brother's head from his shoulders. Paris manages to duck beneath the blade that almost took his life.

Paris is quicker for he is younger than Menelaus. He nearly surprises the other man with a fast sword thrust but Menelaus starts hammering Paris's shield with furious blows.

Paris stepped away and tried another thrust, but this time Menelaus sidestepped and smashed Paris in the jaw with the end of his sword, knocking the helmet off. My jaw clenching as I saw Paris fall, blood coming from his mouth and nose.

I quickly stood up from my seat and ran towards the wall. Gripping the railing tightly as I watched my brother bleed. "Get up, Paris" I whispered under my breath as Paris stayed on the ground clutching his nose.

"Stand up, Paris!" I shouted as loud as I could. They all looked at me but I didn't care, I looked at Paris sternly. He nodded and forced himself to stand up. This what I was talking about! His resistance to pain isn't the same as ours! For Hector and I, a blow on our nose won't knock us out that fast!

Menelaus bores in again, blow after blow. His bronze blade slashes Paris's thigh making him groan. He swings his sword desperately but Menelaus playfully dodged his attacks, knocking the sword from Paris's hand.

"Get the damn sword" I whispered. It was as if Paris heard me, I bit my lip as he almost crawled just to get the fallen sword but before he could even reach the sword, Menelaus gave him a hard blow.

Helen and Father stood beside me as we watched my bloody brother. "Fight him, son. Fight him." Father said.

I watched with no emotion as Paris runs to Hector, gasping for breath, blood pouring down his face and leg. He falls to his knees. Hector stares at Paris and then at Menelaus, who has stopped seven feet from them.

"Fight me, you coward! Fight me!" Menelaus shouted. Paris held his head down as he trembles by Hector's feet. I ran towards the door but the guards stopped me making me look at my Father.

"Please, Father" I pleaded, tears falling on my cheeks. Father shooks his head no and drags me back gently to the wall.

I looked straight as tears fell on my cheeks. "We have a pact. Fight!" Menelaus shouted.

"This is not honor. This is not worthy of royalty."

Hector looked at Paris who is not looking at
anybody. He gasps for breath, as blood continued to flow from his wound. Hector glances at the Greek army, then back to our brother.

"If he doesn't fight, Troy is doomed" Menelaus mocked. I wiped my tears and looked at Paris. Hector said something to him but he shakes his head.

"The fight is over." Hector said sternly to Menelaus who laughed and walked towards them.

"The fight is not over. Stand back, Prince Hector." Menelaus said but Hector just looked at him.

"I'll kill him at your feet. I don't care" Menelaus snarled and pointed his sword at Hector who looked as if it was nothing.

"He's my brother." Hector said calmly but Menelaus charges. In one motion Hector draws his own sword and plunges through Menelaus's breastplate.

"Hector... no" I whispered as I looked at the field in horror.

Menelaus stares down at the blood which begins to flow down his armor. He looks up at Hector who pulls his blade out. Menelaus falls to the ground.

And in that moment, the King of Sparta is dead.