είκοσι ένα

In the evening, I watched as Achilles scrubs Patroclus's face with a damp cloth from a far. He removes the shell necklace that's clasped around his neck and placed it in his tunic's pocket.

I sat at the edge where no one could see me but I could see everyone clearly. When the boy was clean, he places one coin over each of the dead
boy's eyes. He then kisses his cousin's forehead and Eudorus handed him a torch, Achilles sets the pyre on fire.

I bit my lip and turned before grabbing a black horse. I made sure that no one sees me before the horse started to gallop to the palace. The guards weren't surprised but rather curious.

"My daughter, you're back!" Father exclaimed as he saw me. I nodded and gave him a weak smile.

"What happened to your neck?!" He asked, his eyes wide as he examined my bruised neck. "Just met a Spartan while I was on my way to Apollo's temple"

Father nodded understandingly and kissed my forehead. "Go get some rest" Father said who had this weary look in his eyes.

"It's Hector, isn't it?" I asked before tears fell from my eyes again. Father nodded sadly and hugged me. I cried at my Father's shoulder before he assisted me towards my chambers.

I couldn't sleep the whole night, I was just seated in my balcony and as I watched the sun rise, I couldn't help but cry again knowing that this is the day. I sniffed and took a quick bath. My eyes were red and swollen from crying the whole night and my neck was bruised. I sighed and put on a dark green gown before deciding to go to Hector's chamber.

"Hector?" I called shakily at the door of his chamber. I stayed behind the door and waited for him to open the door.

"Sister?" Hector's voice rang through my ears as he opened the door, he was already wearing his armor. I immediately hugged him and cried on his shoulder.

"Brother" I sobbed. He soothingly rubbed my back with his hand, trying to calm me but I hugged him tighter.

"Brother... you can't" I said and shook my head. He pulled me out of the hug and smiled sadly.

"I have to sister"

"I... I finally met.. the man that I want... to spend my life with" I sobbed.

"I'm happy for you, sister"

"It's... it's Achilles.... brother"

Hector froze and looked at me making me cry even more. I continued crying as he pulled me into his arms. "If.. if I die today. Will you please take care of Andromache and Scamandrius?"

"You won't die" I cried. If Hector dies, the whole city will die with him. Father is too old to even try and build Troy again. Paris is too stubborn to even follow my brother's command. He is still young and has a lot of things to learn along the way. And as for me, I am emotionally depressed. I can't think straight. He just can't die. Hector can't die. He is ready to rule the country. He just can't die.

And if Achilles dies, my heart will also die with him. I have finally met the love of my life and he will be taken from me? I didn't know what to do. My heart is torn in half as I cried, my knees weak as Hector held me in his arms.

"Please just promise me, sister"

I shut my eyes and gasped for air, finding it hard to breathe. "Promise me, Selene"