Chapter One: Bubbles

I watched the tiny bubbles as they floated to the top of the champagne glass, tapping my nail against the crystal. I hated champagne, it tickled my tongue and tasted like carbonated vinegar to me. Most of the girls here loved it, made them feel like the distinguished ladies. Not me, though. I would much rather have a cold mug of frothy beer served straight from the tap, but that wasn't lady-like. That would break the image and magic of what I was. I couldn't have that. 

We traded our time, our energy, and our bodies for those Cinderella moments. Most of the girls in this house Mama had bought or brought out of the slums. She gave us a chance to have more than we would have ever gotten from the world otherwise. We all considered ourselves lucky to have been chosen. Being one of Mama's girls was a privilege that we all took seriously. She turned us from whores into her girls and that was a distinction that came with many benefits.

The men that came here would never know the real me. The one behind the make-up, perfume, and glitter body butter. I was supposed to be a fantasy, whatever fantasy they wanted me to be. Whatever fantasy they had paid for. Sometimes the fantasies that I played out made me wish that they were real. In those moments, I was anyone and everyone else. The stresses of my daily life were gone and forgotten under the guise of my new identity. I could float around, forgetting my reality and my life for several blessed hours.

"Are you listening to me?" Ethen growled at me in irritation. He was the regular with mommy issues. He came to visit me every Tuesday night like clockwork, always the same predictable shit. He would tell me about how all the women in his life didn't respect him, treated him like he was below them.

It all went back to mommy dearest, didn't let him be a man like he wanted to be. She was too controlling and demeaning. I wish I could say those were the problems I had with my own mother. My issues probably started when she sold me to pay off her drug dealers. I didn't really care to hear about his but Ethen paid me to listen to him, so I listened. Well, I listened to the gist of it and pretended for the rest of the time.

I looked up at him from under my fake lashes, giving him a sly smile, "Of course I was listening." I cooed at him as I stretched my arm out and sat my champagne on the end table beside the bed. I would be giving that to one of the other girls later, nothing would be wasted. I pushed up from the bed slowly, bringing myself closer to him, "But do you want to keep talking about that bitch or do you want to cut loose and have some fun with me?"

God, I'd do just about anything to get him to stop talking. Even have mediocre sex, which was putting it kindly. My lady bits were drying up just thinking about what I was going to subject them to. At least it would be over quick and I could get back to the book Sutton had given me the last time we met up.

Ethen looked me over, eyes raking over my chest where the lace of my bodice was peeking through the silk robe I was wearing. He was easy to read and to please. Other males I had to work harder to create the fantasy, to play the part they wanted me to play. Ethen simply wanted to feel superior, in everything, though he certainly wasn't.

He lifted a brow, crossing his arms over his puffed-up chest, "What kind of fun?"

I gave him a coy smile as I trailed my fingers up leg, bunching up my robe to give him a better look. His gaze followed the sweep of my hand, never breaking contact as I undid the tie of my belt. I hefted up my shoulders, shrugging the robe down my arms. I rose up from the bed, tossing my robe to the floor as I saddled up against Ethen. His breathing was already labored, pupils dilated with his desire. I kept my smile as I trailed my fingers slowly down his chest, "Oh the kind of fun that will make you forget all about your troubles..."

He swallowed hard as I leaned forward to kiss the underside of his chin, trailing my lips along his neck, "So what do you say? Want me to make you forget about your troubles?" I whispered seductively into his ear as grabbed hold of him through his slacks. He let out a strangled groan, leaning into my touch. I totally had him eating out of the palm of my hand, maybe I could pull a couple of extra marks from his pocket tonight if I used my good tricks.