Chapter Thirteen: Reunited

It had been hard to hear Quinta's story and it made me want to kill her mother all the more but I knew it was more of a punishment for her to continue on with her suffering. She existed in a living hell and I wouldn't give her the ticket out of it. I pushed the thoughts away. I had to exist in the now, with Quinta and the kids. I held her tighter to my chest. It burned me deep inside that my mate had been so betrayed, so hurt, by some one as a child. I wished I could have been there to take her from that, to save her from that.

"I know you are scared, bonita." I could feel her trembling against my chest, my shirt clutched tightly in her hands. "You lack trust but I will spend the rest of our lives building your trust in me. I will always be here for you and the kids." I couldn't just expect her to trust me after all I had learned. She was right, she should have been protected by her mother, not sold to a pimp. Madame Lao had all the thanks I could possibly give her. She had saved Quinta from a worse life out on the streets, she didn't have a great life in the brothel but she wasn't in a crack house with a needle in her arm.

She didn't respond, just held me tighter. I kept my arms around her, I knew she would let go when she was ready. I had a feeling she needed the embrace just as much as I needed to give it to her. I wasn't sure how long we stood there but I didn't care, simply inhaling her scent, ignoring the faint scent of an unknown male that lingered on her slightly. He didn't matter. I believed her when she said she hadn't been with anyone since she met me.

She slowly relaxed in my embrace before she let me go. I reluctantly let my arms drop from around her as she looked up at me. I reached up and brushed the backs of my fingers down her cheek. "Let's go see the kids." She gave a shaky nod and wiped at her cheeks. "I'm sorry for crying." She sniffled, avoiding looking at me. I didn't like the thought she felt the need to apologize for a perfectly natural reaction to the trauma she went through.

"Do not apologize for that, Quinta." There was no need to apologize for that. "Its natural." I gave a curt nod, grabbing my jacket from the back of the chair. My beast pushed at me, we had made up with our mate and he wished to see his familia. I pulled the jacket on, looking at Quinta, watching her as she nervously tugged on her sleeves, trying to cover her hands. "Let's go." I moved towards her and she gave a small shaky nod.

I ushered her out of the apartment, my hand on her lower back as I walked towards the elevator. She hesitated and I bit back a small chuckle as she did so. "I will be right with you." The elevator was the quickest way down to the garage.

She shook her head. "Don't like it." She dug her feet in and I let out a heavy sigh.

"No one likes it, bonita. But its quicker." Even I disliked it and I had been using it for numerous years. It was one thing that you never really got used to, you were able to hide it better but you never truly got used to it. She slowly started walking, sticking close to my side as the silver doors came into view. I pressed the button and they opened immediately. Once we were inside and I pressed the button for the garage. Quinta pressed herself to my chest, her form shaking as I held her in my arms, doing my best to comfort her as my beast struggled inside of me at the confinement.

I stared at the numbers as they flashed. It would be alright. I now had a chance to prove myself to my mate and I wouldn't let it pass me by.

~~~~~~~

We pulled up in front of the brothel, Quinta's arms tight around my waist. I pulled my helmet off, more than aware of the eyes that landed on me from the shadows. I might have had their cooperation when it came to protecting Sutton but Quinta was a different female entirely and I wasn't sure how they would exactly react to me. I pushed down the kickstand and shut down my motorcycle. I stepped off of it, holding my hand out for Quinta to take as she got off the bike. I looked around warily, more than aware of how many of the ferals were now watching us.