Chapter Six: Love Thy Brother

I hastily tucked the marks card back into the pocket on the side of my bra. I had spent a small portion of it today and any other time I would have winced at the extravagance of it but it was spent on giving the kids a happy memory and for me that was worth however many marks it took to get it.

I had given Mama a significant portion of the marks I had taken from Conrad. Two thirds like every other time. She had raised an eyebrow at me as I had handed her the large sum to be divided between us, her dark gaze asking me the question she wouldn't say. I had winced as I told her what had happened, as I told her what Conrad had attempted to do and her eyes had flashed and her claws had dug deep into the wood of her desk.

I had watched her with an almost fearful edge, unsure of if her beast wanted to come out and play but she has calmed down before making her way around the desk and pulling me to her chaise and sitting me down. She had then sat beside me and engulfed me in her arms, pressing my head to her chest as she gave me that overwhelming feeling of being cared for and loved. She had been calm as she told me that she had wished I had brought back the marks rather than the male for her to take her price from. I almost regretted it as well. I wanted Conrad to suffer but my male had taken care of him.

I had nearly left him out of the story out of shame. I wasn't sure how Mama would react to me having a mate. Having one meant I could no longer work and she had bought me, paid marks for me, and in order to stay in her protection I had to do as I did. However, I knew better than to lie to her. I just glossed over Miles, not delving into details, not letting it slip we were mates. I was scared of how she would react to the news. My Mama had never done me wrong but I had always done right by her and her business. This situation was... Well it wasn't good for business.

She hadn't seemed to catch my hesitation or if she did she didn't comment on it as she gently urged me to lay down with my head in her lap. She had carefully and gently pulled out the hair pin before she oiled my curls, her fingers gently detangling the tight ringlets before she carefully twisted them. I had nearly fallen asleep as she started humming her Korean melodies. I never knew the names and it never felt right to ask. I knew how hard it was for her to speak about those times. She had lost a lot so I never wanted to bring that back up for her.

I had just fallen to the very edge of sleep when she asked me if the male had hurt me. I had been confused until I had realized she meant Miles. I had hesitated before telling her the truth. He had been a perfect gentleman. She had made a soft sound at that before telling me that if I ever saw him again that she wished to see him to express her thanks.

I quickly shook myself out of the thoughts. I didn't want to see him again. The feelings were too fresh in me. I didn't want him to look at me with disgust because his female was a used whore. It made my stomach ache and twist inside me. There was a knot that made me want to throw up at the thought of him looking at me like that. I was a whore. There was no way I could hide it and it was all I had known for a very long time. It was who I was and I wasn't sure if there was any male out there who could overlook that fact. There certainly wasn't in any of the fairytales I told my sisters.

I once again shook the thoughts away. I wouldn't think anymore on it. Today was about my siblings and I wouldn't let my feelings darken their happy day. I carefully looked around, making notes as to where each one was.

Macon walked next to me in silence which was nothing new. He didn't say much unless he thought what he had to say was worth the time it took for someone to listen. I quite liked the comfortable silences we shared. It gave me time to think about things but it didn't leave me alone with my thoughts. Margo walked on the other side of him, holding onto his hand while she licked enthusiastically at her half melted ice cream that she held in her other.