Chapter Two: The High Life

I held Margo's hand as we walked down the street. She had been pretty chatty since she woke me up this morning but the closer we got to the apartment the quieter and more withdrawn she became. It broke my heart to watch the bubbly and happy six year, turn in on herself. I knew that she hated being separated from me as much as I hated being away from her. I was more of a mother to her then our own mother was, so I knew it pained us both to continually have to dance around things the way we did. 

I let out a tiny sigh as I pulled us to a stop, "Do you want to ride on my back the rest of the way, Mam?" I would do anything to get her to smile, again. She blinked up at me, shaking her head as she shifted from foot to foot. I bent forward, bringing us closer, "Are you sure? I know how much you like pretend I'm your horse and you're the princess." 

I watch her become less certain, thinking over my offer more. She lifted a hand, "Fine, but you have to do as I say, horse. I'm the princess." I tried not to laugh at her bossy attitude as I squatted down low enough for her to be able to jump onto my back. She gave a little grunt as she leapt onto my back, wrapping her arm around my throat a little too tight. I gave a cough as I reached back and linked my arms under her legs, helping to release the pressure on my wind pipe. I stood up to my full height, Margo wiggling around to get herself more comfortable. 

"Giddy up, horsey." She kicked her feet into my sides. I ignored the strange looks of people passing by on the street as I neighed loudly and began to playfully gallop down the sidewalk. Margo giggled on my back as she lifted her hand and waved to people as we rushed by.

She kicked me again, "Faster, Horsey, faster!" I picked up my pace, weaving through the bodies on the street purposefully to make it more exciting for Margo. I ignored those that seemed disgruntled, opting to focus on the smiling amusement of kind hearted slummer's. I knew Margo was a bright center in the universe, she had the power to turn most people into happy fools with her cheerful antics.

"Woah, slow down!" She tightened her hands around my neck as we turned onto our street. I had been expecting that to happen. I knew the fun would have to come to an end once she realized we were almost home. I brought my gallop to a slow trot. She rested her chin on my shoulder, "Can we go around the block one more time?" 

I gave a small smile to myself, "Sure, Mam. One more go round." With that I took off to a gallop again, enjoying the tightening of her arms around me and soft laughter in my ear. I jumped off the sidewalk and moved down a nearby alley that cut through to the next block over.

As we came out the other side of the alley my gaze locked on a familiar form of my younger brother Jovan. His wavy head of hair stood out in the group of boys. My gallop slowed the more I took in the sight of him, standing amongst them.

"Giddy up, Horsey!" Margo kicked at me again, not understanding the reason for why her fun had been halted. I sped up again this time with a different purpose and destination in mind. I watched as a familiar tweaker in the area approached the group, talking to one of the older looking boys for a moment. I noticed the slide of hand between the two, knowing a transaction had just taken place. My blood heated and my beast growled low.

"Uh oh...Jo's in trouble..." Margo whispered low, catching on when she spotted her brother.

"You bet he is." I growled between gritted teeth, squatting down so she could slide off my back. Play time was officially over.

"Jo ruins everything." She slid down my back, jumping to the ground with a small whine. I didn't feel the need to correct her complaint this time, because at the moment he had ruined our goodtime.

"Jovan Michael Moreau!" I shouted his name loudly. He stiffened up and the group of boys turned their attention in our direction. Jovan's face burned with anger and embarrassment, but I didn't care, "You better get your ass home." When he took to long to get moving I stomped my foot against the ground, "Right now, Jovan." I would drag him back kicking and screaming if I had to, he was tempting the wrong person.