Chapter Seventeen: Mi Amor

I looked at Ginessa as her mouth turned down into a heavy pout. I knew she wasn't happy with my declaration of leaving her company. "So no more fun nights?" Her voice was tight and I gave a slow nod. I didn't trust Madame Lao to not actually hurt me if I did as she didn't want me to. "This leaves me in a bad position, sugar tits." I rolled my eyes at the name and she huffed out a breath. "We still haven't gotten Vincenzo Duralli and without you that makes it damn near impossible." I had to agree with her there but I didn't want to push my luck.

"As I said, my current... situation no longer allows me to continue this line of work." I could only imagine that Madame Lao wanted me to stop all of my work. It rankled me and my beast to no longer be allowed to provide for our familia like we had previously. I knew we would have to figure something else out but we also knew how hard it would be to change our lives like that.

"But you are good at it!" Her voice gathered the slight edge of whining and she stomped her foot in petulance. I had expected that reaction but it didn't stop me from fighting back a slight smile at it.

I did my best to shake my amusement away. "Its dangerous. I have others to think about now." Quinta had been right, it was dangerous for her and the kids. It put a large target on them and I wasn't comfortable with that so as much as it would be difficult to change my ways, I would do it for their safety.

"I'm still going to call you and bug you. I'm not willing to let you go until I get what I need." She crossed her arms over her chest as she narrowed her eyes at me.

"I might be able to give you advice but I can't do anymore than that." I gave a slow shake of my head. I couldn't go out and kill anyone anymore. "Dos is as good as dead." I would keep him that way if it kept mi familia safe.

"This fucking suuuucks." She drug the word out, once again stopping her foot as her bottom lips stuck out. "Screw you! Going and getting hitched and then kicking my ass to the curb." She hunched forward, her arms over her chest and a dark and pouty look on her face.

"You'll be fine." She was resourceful so I didn't doubt for a moment that she would find someone to replace me. It wouldn't take her long if she put her mind to it.

"Don't care!" She gave a petulant huff and glared at me.

I rolled my eyes at her attitude, a smile dancing along the edges of my mouth. "We are still friends, Nessa." She was a dear friend, we had gone through too much together to not be friends. We had hung around each other so much that she knew me just as well as I knew her.

She let out a heavy sigh as her entire form slumped, sadness tainting her edges. "I know." She moved over and held out her arms without a word and I pulled her close. "No one is as fun as you when it comes to killing." Her words were muffled in my chest and I chuckled.

"You'll find someone to replace me." That was something I knew for a fact. She could complain and pout all she wanted but people flocked to Ginessa like bees to honey. She would be fine.

"Yah, I had Emily but she's gone. I still can't find her." She held me tighter, her fingers digging into my back and I patted her head, pushing her away slightly.

"You will find her." I gave her arms a squeeze and gave her a half smile. "I will still see you around. I just won't have the ability to help you like I used to." I let my hands drop and shoved them into my pockets as I looked at her.

She brushed her hair back from her face. "I will be coming to see the female who took you away from me." She gave a small sniff and I chuckled once more.

"I don't see that as an issue." As crazy as she was, I knew she would behave herself while around others. "I need to go." I had to get back to the house. Quinta had had dropped the kids off at school and I had come straight to Ginessa to tell her that I couldn't take her jobs anymore. Now I wanted to get back to my female. The kids were off to school and we had the entire house to ourselves. I knew just how to christen the new place. Need clenched my gut heavily at the thought.