Chapter Nineteen: Dragon Lady

I finished out the work orders and took the last drink of my tepid coffee. I grimaced at it, wrinkling my nose. That was not pleasant. I closed down my files and logged out of the system. I leaned back in my chair as I let out a heavy sigh. It had been a decent work day, we had gotten a lot done. I looked around the office, it wasn't that I didn't like my job. It paid good and I got to practice my mechanic skills, it was just... not nearly as much fun as what I did previously.

I let out a heavy sigh and rubbed at my face. I shouldn't have missed it but running around the city and driving the slime out of their holes had been exciting for me. Managing a shop of eight people was not on that level. It was borderline boring but I put up with it because it was safe and it brought a decent amount of income into the household. It also kept the kids away from that part of my life, especially the boys, they were at a very impressionable age and Jovan had already shown signs of wanting to go down the wrong path. I had to keep the away from that.

"Jims just finished that insurance pay transmission order." Mark poked his head into the doorway and I nodded, pushing out of my chair to stand.

"Alright, get him to close it out and I'll deal with it tomorrow when I get in." I stretched, my back popping as I did so. I had spent too long bent over doing my reports. I would have much rather preferred slinging wrenches to doing paperwork.

"Clocking out early?" He sounded curious and I nodded as I shut my laptop and grabbed my jacket.

"Gotta pick up the kids from school. Bonita is with her mama and said she would be late getting home." She had phoned me at two, sounding very scattered as I could hear everyone in the background talking rapidly. She had gone to the brothel for a visit and I could only imagine the conversations that were going on.

"Can't wait to meet her. She sounds like one helluva lady." Mark gave me a friendly smile and I nodded at him.

"She is." She was more than anything I could have imagined, our life together had a few rough patches, we sometimes fought and misunderstood one another but we worked it out. We never went to bed angry and she was the one thing I wanted to wake up to for the rest of my life.

"Well have a good rest of the day. I'll let everyone know you are clocking out and to grabbed the group work orders if they don't have anything to do." He gave me another smile and I gave another nod. At least everyone new what they had to do here. I didn't have to babysit everyone to make sure they were doing their jobs appropriately.

"Thanks, Mark. I'll see you tomorrow." I gave him a small wave as I pulled my jacket on and headed out of the office and towards the front entrance. I was cutting it a little close with my time. I only had twenty minutes to make it to the schools before the bell rang. I didn't want the kids waiting for me for too long.

"See you tomorrow, Miles." The secretary gave me a warm smile and I waved at her as I pushed out into the parking lot, heading for the SUV. I had taken it in today for an oil change. I wanted to keep on top of the maintenance so that Quinta wouldn't be left stranded somewhere with a shit vehicle.

I got in and headed onto the main highway. I knew it wouldn't take me long to get there I was just concerned about the kids becoming confused. The boys I knew would be fine, Azuka would keep them inline and focused, it was the girls that caused me the most worry. They were young and Margo was prone to flights of fancy. I just hoped they stayed put if I wasn't there right on time.

The drive to the high school went quicker than I had anticipated and I arrived right when the bell rang. I pulled close to the doors, rolling my window down as I drummed my fingers against the side of the door. I spotted Azuka walking with a small redhaired female and her face was bright red but she had a beaming smile on her face as she looked up at him. I smirked slightly, puppy love.