Chapter Twenty One: Stand By Me: Part Two

The office was dark and I resisted the urge to shudder as Mama turned on her lap. A dim glow filled the room and she waved at the door. "Close it." I did as she requested, watching her warily but the moment the door clicked closed her shoulders slumped and she let out a heavy sigh. "I so tired, Kinta." It was a surprising statement as she leaned against her desk, her back to me. She gave a small wave of her hand. "Tired of darkness in city, tired of my girls being hurt. I bring little ones back but they still hurt. Can't protect against the evil. I tired." She leaned heavier against the desk, pressing her hand to her face.

I had never saw mama so... defeated before. I swallowed hard before I slowly moved towards her. "Are you okay, mama?" I didn't understand why she would be acting like this.

She slowly turned her head, her eye ginting in the dim lighting as it looked at me. "I tired. Can you help mama into bath?" When I nodded she slowly pushed off the desk, her form nearly hunching as she moved with what looked to be great difficulty. She shuffled towards one of the bookshelves and shoved in one of the books with a click. There was a whirring sound and the bookcase sunk into the wall before sliding sideways.

I followed her into the opening, lights turning on as she moved through the space. I looked around with curiosity. I had never seen the area before, it was her den. It was cluttered and there were Asian type decorations all over the place. I wondered if they had come with her from Korea. "What do you need help with?" Mama had never asked for help before so I could only imagine what had caused her to ask now.

"My bath an' my hanbok." She moved to sit heavily on an oriental truck nearly the foot of the single bed. She looked pale and utterly exhausted. The difference from the female who walked into the brothel and this one was alarming. I hurried over to where a copper tub sat and turned on the taps. "Hot water, Kinta. Hot, hot." At her direction I turned the cold water down and cranked the hot up. Steams started to rise before I made my way back over to her.

She winced as she reached for the ties on her hanbok and I made a noise in my throat. Mama had taken care of me for a long time, it was my turn to take care of her. I gently pushed her hands away and undid the ties myself. The closer I got to her the more I could smell blood, fresh blood. It lingered around her and it made worry bunch in the pit of my stomach.

Had she been hurt because of me? I chewed on my lip as concern and guilt ate at me. She had done so much for me already and the fact she had come to my rescue once more made me feel like a burden to her. I wanted to stop causing so much trouble for Mama. She deserved better than all of this for what she had done for me and the kids. I started to pull the fabric away from her skin and paused at the sight of the dress underneath.

It was varying shades of blue and black, the reptilian lookin scales reminding me of dragon skin. I swallowed how terrifying the wrath of Mama was, though I had never witnessed it first hand. She kept that part of herself hidden from the girls. We were allowed to go into battle with her but only so far. Looking at her dressed this way I could only imagine it had something to do with not wanting us to see her that way.

I swallowed as I gently pulled the fabrics away from her shoulders and it pooled around her. I couldn't contain the gasp that passed from my lips at the sight of her bare flesh. "What happened, Mama?" I looked at the grey scars and her and the bleeding splits in her skin with slight horror. I wondered if the male who took the girls had attacked her, if they had fought and she had been wounded like she was.

"I pay great price to bear my wolf, Kinta. Anger makes it easier but when anger gone, it hurts." She winced as she gripped my hand tightly and groaned as she got to her feet. "My mind willing but my body cannot bear burden lightly." She seemed so calm about it as she slowly started to shuffle towards the bath. I stayed with her, my heart in my throat as I did so. Her the wounds looked horrible and her scars just as bad. It looked mottled and almost reptilian, I couldn't even imagine what could have caused them.