Chapter Nine: Part Three: Blood Money

I didn't waste any time in the house, sparing no glance backwards despite how my beast railed at me, trying to force me to turn around to dig into the female who had let his familia live in such conditions. I quickly left the house, heading around to the back yard. I made a bee-line for the shed, my familia needed to get out of the conditions they were in. I knocked on the door before pushing it open slightly. There was a small campfire lantern in the middle of a bunch of ragged blankets.

The two little girls were snuggled up to their older brothers as all six heads huddled in front of my phone, watching whatever movie they had chosen. I cleared my throat and Azuka peeled his eyes away from the phone for a moment. "Get your stuff. We are leaving." At my voice the curly haired little fire ball snapped her gaze to me, a bright smile nearly splitting her face in half.

She bounded up and out of her place, attaching herself to my leg happily. "Hi!" She grinned up at me and I patted her head in greeting before I looked over the rest.

I couldn't leave them. All I could think of was what happened to Isabella back on Haven. I had stayed out for one night and came back to her dead. I never wanted Quinta to suffer through that heartbreak. "Get your things." I watched as Azuka narrowed his eyes at me.

"Why?" He shifted, keeping his arm around the other little girl who had herself pressed to his side as she looked at me shyly.

"Your mother is preoccupied and I'm taking you back to my place for now." At that the little girl attached to my leg gasped happily. I patted her head again with a small smile. She was so exuberant it made me smile.

"Please, please, please, please!!!" She repeated the words in rapid fire fashion as she bounced. Even Jovan looked on the verge of doing the same as she was as he got to his feet. "Azuka! Please!" At his rather stiff form she stopped bouncing and tilted her head down and I could only imagine the puppy dog eyes she was giving him.

"Are you even equipped to have this many kids?" The second oldest gesture to the small shed and I looked around at the small den they had made, no matter how many blankets they had on the floor it couldn't hide the fact it was covered with holes and filled with little rusty nails that little bodies could get caught in. My apartment might have been not entirely furnished but it was warm and safe.

"Better equipped than you might think." I narrowed my eyes and stared down at Azuka.

"Do you have a bed, like a princess bed?" The small girl beside Azuka blinked up at me and she looked half hopeful and I found a wry smile on my face.

"Not a princess but I have a king." At that her eyes went wide and she tapped Azuka's chest with her hand in excitement. "I also have some books..." I let my voice trail off and her eyes went even wider as she inhaled sharply. Her older brother narrowed his eyes at me and I smirked. I wasn't above bribery to get what I wanted. I would use whatever means I had to make sure I got them where it was safe.

"You got some food?" It was the second oldest and I nodded. Currently I just had some milk and cereal but I could pick up what they needed after they were all safe. "Azuka?" He looked towards the darker skinned male and his face twisted with agitation before he pointed at me.

"I'm trusting you. Don't make me regret it." He got up and Jovan and the little fire cracker practically vibrated with excitement. She pushed her curly hair from her face before she lifted her arms at me. I bent down and picked her up without a second thought, settling her on my hip as I watched as Azuka pulled a rather ratty bag from below the floorboards. My mouth twitched at the thought that was all they had with them. I knew that wouldn't for me or my beast. They would be provided for.