3: Natures Finest

Present Day

After days of working Stefan back towards his humanity, Eleanor decided to trust him. She had tortured him, put memories into his head from ages ago - but not ones that they had shared. Obviously she didn't want to see him suffer, but Eleanor put herself in Lexi's shoes and chose what she would do. But whenever she thought about her best-friend being dead, her eyes always welled up with tears. She couldn't make herself weak, never in a million years.

Stefan was resting against the wall of his cell, the chains still dangling around his wrists. Eleanor wanted to know what he was dreaming about, so she scooted over to him and placed her hands on the sides of his head. She closed her eyes and breathed, letting herself be free. Catching Stefan off guard was an easy way to get into his mind, see what his thoughts were.

"Where is she!" Stefan yelled, thrashing his hand against the wall of an apartment. This was a memory he was thinking of, not a dream. Eleanor watched from the corridor, hoping that his eyes wouldn't find hers. In front of him, was Lexi Branson. Her heart jumped to her throat, knowing that if Lexi was there then she should be. But the memory of Eleanor wasn't to be seen.

"She never told me Stefan! She said she had to leave and not a word more!" Eleanor's throat grew croaky. This was the day that she had left the Salvatore's - and Lexi. Stefan was thinking of her, well at least the worst thing she ever did. She gulped as Stefan pinned Lexi against the wall, clutching his fist around her neck. Lexi couldn't breathe.

"I need her! Don't you understand that? She keeps me in control! I will find her!" Stefan slammed her against the wall, snarling before pushed past the blonde vampire and disappearing into the small apartment. Lexi gasped for air, and Eleanor ran over to her. She couldn't help it, this was the last time she would ever see her best friend.

"Eleanor?" Lexi's eyes furrowed in confusion. Eleanor smiled, grabbing one of her friend's hands in her own. Tears welled up in her eyes as Lexi threw her arms around her and embraced her into a hug.

"I can't come back, Lexi. I told you why and you know that he would never forgive me for running from something so, so stupid," Eleanor sniffled and Lexi nodded in agreement, "I just really need your help right now. I miss you."

"It's only been an hour since you left for Europe!" Lexi laughed a bit too loudly. Behind the door, Eleanor could hear shuffling. Rapidly, she hugged her best friend and then forced herself out of Stefan's mind.

❊❊❊

Stefan was thinking about her. Out of all the memories he had, it was about her. That warmed her heart, but then Elena Gilbert crossed her mind once again. Eleanor sat back and smiled at herself, minutes before Stefan slurred in his sleep. Then, he woke up. First of all his eyes were filled with light, but then they returned to the regular glassy eyes that Ripper Stefan had chosen when he turned his humanity off.

"Field trip today," Eleanor used an iron key to undo his chains and Stefan raised an eyebrow, "You're going to control your hunger." She had left out the fact that Klaus was searching over Mystic Falls for his sidekick, but Eleanor wasn't going to hand him over so soon.

"El, I prefer myself like this - can't you see?" He questioned, shaking his wrists as his eyes landed on the door. Stefan turned his head back to Eleanor.

"I'm not leaving you again, Stefan." She whispered, and he held his breath for a moment. Stefan didn't know why she had left, and she didn't plan on telling him either. Eleanor didn't want him to dislike her forever, but it had to be done. It was awkward after that, a moment of silence was shared between them. But then she grabbed his wrist and yanked him upright.