25: Sorry

Present day

Eleanor felt her phone vibrate in her pocket as she disconnected her eyes from Mara's sleeping ones, taking the vervain-laced needle out of her arm and stepping into another - yet abandoned - room. Once she saw who it was, she felt her cheeks grow hotter. After composing herself, she clicked accept.

"Hey, Matt, what do I owe this pleasure?" Eleanor greeted him, only to be welcomed by an awful amount of muttering. Blushing, she bit on her lower lips, "And everyone else, of course." Tucking a strand of chocolate hair behind her ear, she peered backwards and ushered Rebekah to come forward, in which she did.

"So you know our plan to kill Alaric?" Matt spoke through the phone, making Eleanor smile a little before making a 'mhm' sound, showing she understood, "Well let's just say it didn't go to plan."

"He's not dead?" Rebekah intervene, her eyes wide and alert as if she had a death wish -  which ironically, she did.

"Not at the moment, but his life is connected to Elena's." The blonde boy explained, not realising that either girl didn't give a damn whether the doppelgänger died in the process. With a glance at each other, they both scoffed. Centre of attention, the Hemmings thought to herself. But Eleanor had to respect that a man she loved was also a good friend of her previous competition.

"All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's been disarmed, the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth and Alaric will follow us." They heard a male voice in the back, quite distant but his accent and tone of voice was enough to show them that it was none other than Elijah Mikaelson.

"Brother," Rebekah muttered, hearing a shuffle on the other end of the phone which indicated that Elijah had moved closer to the phone, "Thank you for speaking for me and Nik, he'd appreciate it a lot."

On the opposite end of the phone, it went silent before the youngest Salvatore brother spoke up, "And you'll just run?"

"We've done it before. Klaus and Rebekah spent the better part of a thousand years evading my father. What's another half century while Elena is able to live out the rest of her natural life?" Eleanor felt a pit in her stomach grow larger, jealousy kicking in that the Gilbert girl was always getting noticed. She hissed marginally, hoping that one day Elena would vanish and everybody could care about the consequences of their actions - even when they didn't revolve around the doppelgänger.

"We've finally stopped him, Elijah." Elena muttered, hoping that the two girls on the other end of the phone wouldn't hear, "After everything that he's done to us, I can't just let you bring him back-"

"What did you do to our brother, Elijah?" The blonde Mikaelson almost yelled at Eleanor's phone, snatching it out of her hand and staring at it as if it would give her the answers she desired.

Licking his lips, he replied, "You see, dear sister-"

"Don't 'dear sister' me until you tell me what happened. Did Alaric get to him?" Rebekah snapped, turning on her heel so her golden locks fanned out. Eleanor almost felt guilty that her final words to Klaus were not pleasant ones, but as she recalled the things he had done to make her life hell - she had no reason to complain.

"Not exactly, he took Elena in attempts to kill her for her blood. We stopped him with a spell." Elijah paused for a beat, making Eleanor hold her breath, "He's out of our lives, Rebekah." There was a still, emotionless silence that suffocated them - everybody staying muted as they waited for the sister to thrash out and have a tantrum. But she stared blankly at the Hemmings, who wondered if she had flipped the switch.