17: Head And Heart

Present Day

"Back again, are we?" Eleanor asked Mara as she appeared in front of her. The Hemmings took a sip of an almost empty blood-bag and then chucked it on the table. The Salvatore smiled, flicking her hair over her shoulder.

"I was looking for that boy of yours - you know, my brother Stefan." Mara replied, swinging her legs onto one of the tables behind the sofa and peering back at the vampire. They were in the Salvatore boarding house, inside the sitting room. Alaric was upstairs speaking to Elena and Stefan and Damon were just outside.

"I swear to God if you lay a hand on him I'll rip your throat out in seconds." Eleanor muttered to the girl with gritted teeth. She jumped onto the table beside the female Salvatore as they heard the door beginning to unlock. The Hemmings' could feel her heart in her throat, Mara could just kill them all in seconds. Or even worse, make her watch.

"That's the plan, Damon-" But when Stefan's eyes connected with the brunettes, who's eyes reminded him of his mothers', he began to stutter. Mara plastered on a smirk, one that everybody would recognise as Damon's. The eldest Salvatore glanced at Eleanor, who shrugged.

"Hello brother, it's nice to meet you." She told her older brother, Stefan, as she hopped off the table. Suddenly he used his supernatural speed to pin her up against the wall. For a moment, Mara struggled to breathe but then she suddenly erupted in laughter, "That's not a nice way to greet your sister, is it?"

"I heard what you made Damon and Eleanor do," He muttered through his perfect, shining gritted teeth. Eleanor's heart jumped, wondering if yesterday - what he had told her on the rooftop - was in fact a lie, "You're not welcome here." Mara pouted but then peeled her brothers hand off her throat before walking back over to Damon and Eleanor.

"Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping that we could bond a little, go on a road trip-" But then Eleanor scoffed,

"Not with you, we're not." She murmured, causing Stefan to lick his bottom lip and raise his eyebrow to keep himself from chuckling.

"Do you know more about how you and Damon met? Just details, materials - scenery..." Mara continued, ignoring Eleanor's attempt of an insult and leaning against one of the side tables. That's when they noticed, she wasn't just interested - she was interested in an object.

"We told you what we know, remember? You kind of forced us to." Eleanor answered her, recalling when the girl used her powers to push them to say it, even if they didn't want to tell any part of their life to her. She was death after all. Mara walked towards her, her heels clicking within each step as she continued forward until she was in front of the girl's face.

"Tell me what you know." Mara was using her influence again, trying to empower her to know a certain fact. But even as hard as the power's she had scavenged through Eleanor's mind, she couldn't remember specifics.

"I don't know." She answered assuredly, staring the Salvatore dead in the eyes. Suddenly Mara grabbed her throat and threw her across the room, causing her to land on a table with a glass vase - smashing beneath her body and inventing cuts in different places. Stefan automatically rushed over to her and helped her up - Damon on the other hand, grabbed Mara's arms behind her back. The Salvatore sister hissed at her brother.

"Why does it matter so much?" Damon whispered in Mara's ear, tightening his grip around her wrists as she tried to escape, "Why are you here, Mara?"

"So for almost two-hundred years I haven't been able to meet my siblings and now they don't want me? Oh, Damon, you don't want to make the devil upset. Now let me go." She muttered, feeling her wrists become free from Damon's grasp. Mara walked to the door and grabbed her bag, "Now if you excuse me, I've got some errands to run." Subsequently, she opened the door and walked out swiftly.