5: The Truth

Present Day

There was too much noise, too many voices inside her head. Eleanor woke up with a gasp, realising she was locked in the cellar and stuck in the exact same chains that Stefan once was. If she had just ignored Lexi's ghost then she wouldn't be here, being forced to face the reality that has haunted her for almost one hundred years. In a way, it was Stefan's fault.

"Good morning, sleepy head," Damon called from behind the door before unlocking the copper bolt that kept her inside. She pulled against the chains eagerly, wanting to escape this hell, "Let me guess, you're a light weight on vervain."

"Damon, if that cold heart of yours wants to still be beating once I am out of these chains, I suggest you release me." Eleanor growled, tugging against the iron chains as he shut the door. Damon always thought his sarcasm was funny, but to Eleanor it was just a petty piece of revenge when he wanted something or just wanted to gloat.

"Well tell me why you left back in the 1930's?" The eldest Salvatore asked politely and innocently, making her almost cringe at the irony of it. He was the big bad vampire in her eyes, why couldn't he just play his role and accept the choices she had made?

"I don't get why it needs to be said. After all, we're all fine without it." She replied, finally giving in to the chains and resting against the wall. Damon bent down on his knees and kept his face close to hers, making her tempted to snap his neck. But she could hear echoes in the hallway. Elena and her friend.

"But Stefan isn't," Damon muttered, causing her to hold her breath. Why would Stefan still care after eighty years of memories? Why would that one memory specifically shine through? Eleanor pursed her lips slightly, "You see, all that trauma that happened that year - it was dealt with, gone, forgotten. But then all of a sudden you left when my little brother needed you most, not even telling your best friend where you were going. He's like this because of you."

"Stop it!" She screamed at him, knowing full well the damage she had done to the youngest Salvatore. Eleanor did deserve this, but she already knew that when Stefan's emotions were back he would have questions. But she had planned to be gone before they started bubbling.

"You wasn't there when he almost turned into the Ripper of Macedonia, or when Lexi almost killed him to save him from himself! You wasn't there El, and you need to make things right!" Damon shouted back at her, ignoring her pleads for silence and watching her tears fall. Eleanor was ashamed for what she had done.

"If he knew, it would be worse for us all." Eleanor muttered through gritted teeth before pulling forward on her chains. Damon spun a syringe full of vervain in front of her face, and she knew that the sleep she could be in would only make it easier for him. He could get inside her head, the worst case scenario would be that she was dreaming of the event.

"Fine, but everyone outside leaves." Eleanor's stomach felt unusual, she hadn't had this feeling in a while. It was the guilt and embarrassment suppressed into one. Outside she heard shuffling and within minutes they were upstairs. She breathed, almost puking in the process.

"How about I show you?" Eleanor Hemmings offered him, raising an eyebrow in the usual Damon style. He smirked before placing his hands on either side of her head, opening his mind to hers as she recalled the memories.

❊❊❊

"Stefan!" Eleanor screamed as he drilled his fangs into a strangers throat, almost tearing his head off swiftly before getting any of the metallic blood. The Salvatore ignored her, enjoying the substance flowing into his mouth like water from a spring lake. She sped over to him, ripping the man out of his arms and compelling him to walk away and forget he ever met either of them.