23: Tick Tock Goes The Clock

Present Day

"Stefan, I know this is the worst time to be calling but we have a problem." Eleanor muttered into her phone as she watched Rebekah Mikaelson sternly with one eye as she spoke to Mara, who was instantly blushing at the sight of the bleach-blonde vampire. But even Eleanor knew that having Rebekah as a distraction wouldn't last long because the sun was almost at it's axis.

"Worst timing, El." The Salvatore groaned, a slight pant in his voice with a gust of wind. The Hemmings quirked her eyebrow marginally.

"Don't tell me that doppelgänger has gotten into a bit of a catastrophe-" Eleanor was soon interrupted by Stefan with a slight sharp voice, his tongue like a serpent.

Stefan hissed, "Klaus is going to kill her. This isn't her fault." Eleanor hummed to herself, trying to keep herself from ripping the younger brother's self-centred head off. She closed her eyes before blinking in the distance.

"Anyway, I have to put it out there that you little sister is trying to make herself immortal," She knew that Stefan was going to interrupt her again but she continued, "Not 'the Originals' type of immortal. She is going to live until the sun disappears, which is in millions of years." Stefan almost stopped breathing on the other side of the phone, probably stopping in his tracks in the mean time.

"She's going to bind herself to the sun." He muttered, causing Eleanor to nod even though he wouldn't acknowledge it. Slowly, she licked her lips in thought.

"Anyway, give Elena my best once you save her life. I'll see you..." But her voice trailed off as she almost dropped her phone out of her hand. In front of her was an empty patch of grass, the leaves swept out of reach and nobody in sight - not even Rebekah. Rapidly she whispered, "Oh crap." Suddenly she felt the presence of someone behind her and as she turned around, Mara stood ahead of her. That was the last thing Eleanor saw before a suffocating pit of black consumed her.

❊❊❊

Klaus snarled as he walked around Elena, like a wolf hunting a hen, swiftly but secretly moving in position to murder her. She gulped as she felt his breaths tingle against her every fibre, the skin on her body, the wild, tangled hairs that reached her shoulders and even the sound of his light breaths. Somehow it took the pain away from her wrist in which a blood bag was attached to it, removing the blood from her system as quickly as possible.

"You know Stefan blames me for trying to tear him from his brother, but I think we both know who really came between them," Klaus leaned closer to her ear, "You. That's why you won't choose. You know once you pick a Salvatore, you'll destroy their bond."

Elena felt herself listening to his words, knowing that it was partly true - but they didn't stop Niklaus from continuing, "Consider this me doing you a favor. Once you're dead, you won't have to choose. No broken hearts. Their family stays intact. But just between us girls, who would you have picked?"

"Rot in hell." She muttered, instantly recognising the feeling of Stefan's sweet lips against hers, almost like he was afraid to kiss her harder incase she disappeared in front of him. But then there was Damon, he had kissed her hurriedly and sloppily but for some weird reason she enjoyed it, the sensation that she was being treated her own age.

"You're welcome. Sweet dreams, Elena. It's been fun." Klaus dismissed her as he diverted his eyes to the door and strolled out of it, a smug smile on his face as he fantasied about the army of hybrids he wanted to create. But she did feel the ghostly fingers that grazed her neck before he exited.