24: Die Trying

Present Day

Jeremy was standing on a metal ladder, frowning as he painted one of the four walls grey, pushing the paintbrush roughly against the wall as he thought about the many people who had lived in this room. His parents had lived her, they're smiling faces were almost a reflection on the paint in front of him as he pressed the next stroke of paint against the wall. Then his Aunt Jenna had took control of their family, a woman who tried to be the parent, but couldn't protect them from the real world. Lastly, Alaric Saltzman had become their guardian and their best friend, but the possession had taken over - leaving them alone and wondering who will be next.

Elena entered the room and leaned against the door frame, her eyes trained on each swipe of paint her brother put on the wall. When he noticed her, he asked, "Hey. Everyone gone?"

"It's just us." The doppelgänger replied with a sigh, her voice not as strong as it used to be. But Jeremy didn't say anything, after all the last two days had been a hassle and he didn't want to be over-protective.

"I hate this room." His voiced echoed as he stepped off the ladder and blinked back at his sister, who was staring back at him blankly.

"Me too. Mom and Dad were right. Alaric should just kill all the vampires and put an end to all of this," Elena muttered as she felt tears in her eyes, but she sniffled before continuing, "But then that means that Caroline dies and Bonnie loses her mom, the Mayor loses her son, and I lose Stefan and Damon. So, if it makes me the bad guy for wanting to keep those people alive, then fine, I'll be the bad guy."

"You forget that Alaric never wanted any of this. Once he carries out his plans, what if he decides he doesn't want to live anymore and he kills his human connection to end his life? That would mean I would lose you. I'm not gonna let that happen." Jeremy told her as he dropped his paint brush, noticing his sister was smiling at him gratefully, "I'm gonna shower and get some sleep. Good night, Elena." He pressed his hand to her cheek before passing by her and leaving her alone in the room, letting her eyes scan the work they had already done.

Biting her tongue to stop her from bursting into a fit of tears, she walked over to the paint and grabbed a brush, dipping it into a frosty colour and starting the window frame. She could've died today, but Klaus was soundlessly sleeping in a coffin where he belonged and she couldn't help but grin at the thought. Dipping the paintbrush into the paint, she felt a significant pain in her head, pulsing and pulsing until she fell to the ground unconscious.

❊❊❊

"You did what?" Damon exclaimed as Jeremy called him from the hospital, a little shaken up about his sister fainting. The Salvatore brothers were on their way to dump Klaus - who may or may not be their sire - into the Atlantic ocean.

"I took her to the hospital. When you find your sister unconscious, you call 911." Jeremy explained in a tone which also mirrored the phrase 'I would do what any human would do'. The eldest brother rolled his eyes as they sped down the road, headlights lighting up the rocky terrain in front of them.

"Not when you have a parade of vampires at your disposal!" Damon yelled angressively, slightly disturbed that Jeremy had not remembered the current predicament they were in where Elena was being hunted down.

Stefan shifted in his seat uncomfortably, "Every remaining Original is gonna want Elena dead to stop Alaric. She's a sitting duck in there."

"Well, Meredith wants to keep her here for observation." Jeremy replied cockily, knowing he was being undermined by the two vampires on the other side of the phone. He sounded like an angsty teenager, always wanted to do what they thought was best - but really isn't.