Mistakes Were Made :(

I was later informed that Harry came first … wait or was it second? … I neither know nor care. Anyway that’s not important what is important is that he didn’t even come first or second he came last, well second last one of the other contestants couldn’t complete it, the only reason he did some first or second was because he took it upon himself to retrieve not only Ron from the bottom of the lake but the girl from that other schools sister as well.

I swear every time something could go wrong for Harry it doesn’t, anything that might make him seem more human …

I sighed.

I had been lying on my bed unable to sleep.

I missed Harry, he had been like a brother to me for as long as I can remember, well for as long as my father has been in Azkaban, now he hardly ever speaks to me.

Stupid Potter, he probably thinks he’s too good for me.’

I shook my head, I knew that wasn’t true and I was just being silly.

I opened my eyes and looked over at Hermione to see if she was asleep, she was.

I sighed.

I miss you Dad.’ I don’t remember much from when my mother was alive but I remember being happy. I closed my eyes again and tried to get to sleep once again.

The next day was very uneventful well we had classes that I didn’t really care for but the last class of the day was Potions, I smiled a little, even before I liked Severus I always enjoyed his class. But as I entered the class room I didn’t see Severus sitting at his desk where he would normally be glaring at me for being a few minutes late. Another teacher was there, a stern looking woman with a pointed face and cold grey eyes, I sat down without a word and the class began.

I felt uncomfortable with her looking over my shoulder as I wrote down the different names and uses of fungus. Harry and Ron were whispering to each other opposite where Hermione and I were sitting;

“Why do you think Snape’s not here?” Harry whispered.

Ron shrugged then smiled as a thought crossed his mind.

“Maybe he’s sick.” I saw a gleam in his eyes.

My heart sunk and I felt sick, what if he was sick? Severus never missed a class.

Harry’s eyes lit up as well.

“It would have to be bad for him to miss out in potions.”

The stern looking woman cleared her throat behind Harry and Ron and they froze.

“The health of Professor Snape is not what you were assigned to research.” She walked a few feet before being called by Ron.

“Why isn’t Professor Snape here today?”

She eyed him, irritated, but moved on without answering.

I didn’t like that.

“Are you going to eat that?”

Ron was next to me at the dining table, eyeing my dinner that had remained untouched for the past hour. I was brought out of my thought and looked at Ron.

“Ron there is plenty of food without you having to steal Vandela’s food.” Hermione gasped at Ron. He looked dejected and opened his mouth to defend himself.

“Don’t worry about it.” I half smiled as I pushed my plate towards Ron, “I’m not that hungry anyway.”

Ron began to stuff his face and I got up and left the Great Hall.

The halls were quiet except for light footsteps running after me.

“Vandela.”

It was Harry.

“Vandela.”

He stopped running when he had caught up to me and walked next to me.

“Hey Harry.”

“What’s going on Van?” He asked breathlessly, “you always seem upset about something these days.”

I didn’t answer him.

“Please tell me what’s wrong.”

I shook my head.

“It’s nothing really I’m just tired and haven’t been sleeping much.” I half lied.

Harry shook his head.

“I can tell but you look like someone’s died.” He half laughed.

“Someone has.”

“Who?”

I hesitated.

“I used to think of you as a brother, you were always there for me and were never too busy.” I couldn’t finish and just shook my head.

He was shocked at my outburst, normally I was the calm and collected one.

“Van.” He moved to hug me but I pulled away and leaned against the wall. “I’m sorry I didn’t know it affected you that much.”

He leaned next to me on the wall.

“I’m sorry Van, I’m still your brother.” He sighed, “I’m just not used to having to be constantly looking over my shoulder, making sure that there aren’t people trying to kill me.”

I smiled.

“You should be by now.”

Harry laughed.

“I know but the tournament’s added to that, people die in these things.”

I nodded.

“I know but … I just miss you.” I leaned my head on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry, I’ll try my best to be a better brother.”

He put his arm around me and this time I let him hug me.

I looked over his should and watching us from the shadows of the next hallway was Severus, he looked at us before turning around and walking away.