Waiting Ch. 3

Chapter Three

I didn't want Mason to leave for some reason. He would stare at me with his blue eyes, and his small smile. I could just stare at him forever. I didn't though, because Nikolas was coming down the hall. "Taylor!" He yelled. People shushed him, but he didn't listen. "Oh my God, are you alright?" He asked, and then when he came closer, he put his hand behind my head, and pulled me towards his chest. He hugged me tightly.

"Nikolas I'm fine," I muttered, but it was muffled, because my mouth was pressed so tightly to his shoulder. I will not cry, I will not cry.

"Thanks man for taking care of her," Nikolas said.

"Mason was there when the house caught on fire," I whispered, pulling away from Nikolas to look up at him.

His eyes widened a little, and his mouth twitched a little. "Oh," He muttered. He narrowed his eyes a little at Mason, and then kept one arm around me. "Thanks," He said stiffly. I could feel the tension rise, and I was guessing Mason could too.

"No problem," Mason answered, and then looked at me with a small smile, "But she's strong, she can take care of herself." Nikolas held me tightly, and stood straighter.

"Tay Tay," Lexie croaked. I slipped out of Nikolas' arm, and then went into her room. "I'm here," I told her, "And guess what, we have visitors. Mason and Nikolas."

"Mason?" She asked, pulling her small eyebrows together.

"Yeah, he helped save you from the fire," I told her, "Guys, come on in."

Nikolas walked in first, with a fake smile one. Mason followed with his hands deep in his pockets and a small smile on his face. Lexie frowned at Nikolas, but it wasn't surprising because Lexie never liked Nikolas. Since the day I brought him home for the family to meet him, she sat with her lips pursed, and her arms tightly crossed over her chest.

"Hey little one," Nikolas teased, "How're you feeling?"

"How did you know I was here?" She snapped.

I thought about it, and she had a point. "Yeah? How did you know to come here?" I asked gently, cocking my head to the side.

"Kristi called me," He answered with a shrug, "She thought you would need me."

I started to smile at him, when Lexie growled, "Well we don't."

"Lexie," I scolded, "That's not very nice. That's my boyfriend you're talking too, and he can be here as long as he wants."

Nikolas gave Lexie a smirk smile, and then turned to Mason. "What're you doing here?" He growled.

"I saw Taylor upset in the hall, so I came over to see if she was alright," Mason answered, "I'm Mason by the way. I go to your school, I'm a senior."

"Oh wow, big senior," Nikolas mocked, "I'm Nikolas. Not Nick, not Nikky, and defiantly not Nick-or-roo. Just Nikolas." He smirked at Mason.

"Nice to meet you," Mason said, holding out his hand. Nikolas didn't want that though, instead he just high fived him on the shoulder.

"Hey Mason," Lexie croaked, and when she didn't say anything after that, Mason leaned forward.

"Yes Miss?" Mason asked, giving her a small smile.

"Thank you for getting my sister to me," She whispered, giving him a small smile, though it took a lot of effort, "I thought I wasn't going to see her again."

"Well don't worry," He told her, patting her little hand, "You're sister is right here, and you are going to be all right. I promise."

"Are you sure?" She challenged, "Because people have promised me things in the past but haven't kept them. Do you promise to keep your promise?"