Waiting Ch. 20

Okay, before you start this chapter, I want to say dnt judge me to harshly. i needed a way for Mason to understand tht no one wanted him to die, and this was the only real way i cld think of! I love it, I think it's cute, but u might think othrwise. oh well, enjoy:)

Chapter Twenty

"Mason," I said sternly, "You are not going to die."

He sighed, "I think I might. The pain is intolerable. It hurts so much, and...and."

"Mason," I whispered, I sat up in the bed, and looked right at him. "Now listen here, of course you're in pain, you have some broken bones and some torn ligaments. You will have to have some surgeries, yeah, which will be painful, but other than that and relaxing for a bit, you'll be fine!"

"How do you know?" He asked.

"A nurse told me," I explained, "And she swore!" Right?

"I just," He sighed.

"I'm not listening to it," I said, jumping off the bed. I grabbed my coat. "You are not giving up! I'll see you tomorrow."

Before he could respond, I left the room, and stormed towards my car. I got in, and started up the car. When I got to the ice cream parlor, things were weird and different. Sam took Mason's shift today, and we hardly talked. I tried to make some sort of conversation with him, but every time it just fell flat. I didn't want to think of what it would be like if Mason wasn't there. I defiantly wouldn't smile like I did every day. I would miss the small things we did together.

What was I thinking?

Mason wasn't dead, and he wasn't going to die. He got that idea in my head, and it kept nagging at me. I called Kristi on my break, and told her about it. "Do you think he'll be alright?" I asked.

"I think it depends on whether or not he's given up," She told me, "If he just gave up, sure he would die, but if there was something to hold on to, then I think he would push through."

Suddenly an idea formed in my head, and I said, "Can you meet me at my house? With a video camera and your laptop?"

"Surely," She laughed, "And even though I'm not there, I can see the wheels turning in your head. Start calling people T!"

I hung up the phone, and ran back into the ice cream parlor. Quickly, I told Sam my plan, and he was so eager about it, he told me he would cover my shift, just to remember to include him. I smiled, and was out of there as fast as possible.



"What are you all doing here?" Mason asked, his eyebrows pulling together. "With all of you here, the nurses will know I'm awake."

"They already know, stupid," Adam commented, "You sneezed, and then blessed yourself, because no one was there to bless you."

Mason gave a small smile, and blushed. "What are you all doing here?" He repeated.

I shifted, and looked around the room. I rounded up almost everyone: Adam, James, a few teachers, Kristi, Ashley, and a few of her friends, Sam, Jordyn and her family, Dad, Lexie, and the couch who was here when he heard about Mason. That was all I could get the nurses to let in.

"We came to show you something Mace," James said, who hardly ever talked.

My Dad pulled out the small TV that was on one of those rolling carts. He placed it at the end of Mason's bed, and we all crowded around it, but made sure Mason could still see. "We need to show you something," I whispered, "This is what you would miss if you died."