Waiting Ch. 4

Chapter Four

I was right. The next few days were awful, and everything had changed. My Dad and Lexie both got out of the hospital with a few scars, and together we all moved into my Dad's house. He only lived right down the street from Mom, so Lex and I were allowed to go to the same school.

Things were very awkward.

Lexie was a spirited five year old, and knew that things were all Dad's fault, even though I didn't know because Dad wouldn't tell me how the fire started. Lexie would cling to me like moss does to a tree. She would hardly look at Dad, and only speak when spoken too. Yet, when things got her angry- Dad- she would let him have it, and then storm up to our room.

Dad hid out in his room, and I had a feeling he didn't have to courage to face us yet. He came down to make us breakfast, and eat dinner with us, but other then that, he hid out in his room. I tried asking him if he needed anything, but he would tell me no, and not talk to me again.

Lexie and I shared a small room right next to Dad's room, and every night I would wake up to the screams of Lexie. "The fire Mommy," She would scream, "The fire burns. OW, it burns me Mommy, please make it stop. My throats on fire, my arms are burning. I can't scream. PLEASE, MOMMY!" I would crawl out of my bed, and go over to her bed. I kept a bowl of water and a rag on the nightstand, because when Lexie had these nightmares, she would soak her bed in sweat. I lie down close to her, and wet her forehead with a wet rag. "Taylor?" She would whimper, and that is when I would know the nightmare wasn't over, because Lexie never called me by my full name.

When Lexie and I came to live with our Dad, we really didn't have anything to bring. Almost all of the rooms in the house caught on fire, and we could only bring in a few things from home.

This place was defiantly not home.

The next morning, Dad woke us up for school. Lexie still went to preschool, even though she hated it. "Are we really going back to school?" I asked, opening my eyes, "This early?"

"Yes," Dad answered shortly, "I have....things I need to take care of." I didn't even bother asking him what those things were. I took my time to get out of bed, and dress myself in the school uniform, and then I helped Lexie get dressed. Dad drove us to school in silence. Lexie was dropped off first, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I don't wanna go," She screamed, "Don't make me go!"

"Lexie you have to go," I told her in a quiet voice. She opened my door, and held tight to my arm, crying into it. "I know Babe," I cooed, "But you have to go!"

A teacher appeared behind her, and tugged on her hand. "Daddy, don't make me go," She cried, still holding onto my arm with one hand.

"Alexia," Dad warned, in a loud voice, with his eyes closed. "Don't even try it, you are going to school, and you are not coming home until your school day is done."

I looked at Lexie, and her tearful eyes were now filled with hatred. She narrowed her eyes at her Father, and then was pulled away by her teacher. When I closed my door, and we were on the road again, I said, "You didn't have to be so harsh on her."

Dad didn't answer me, he just drove with his eyes on the road. He leaned over, and turned the radio on high. Normally I would like to listen to the radio, but today I turned it off. "Why won't you tell me what started the fire?" I demanded, "Was it you? Do you not want me to know because it was you?"

"Taylor," Dad sighed.

"Come on Dad," I pressed, "I have a right to know, that fire killed my Mother and my brother."