Waiting Ch. 19

Chapter Nineteen

Waiting. It should have been the death of everyone sooner or later. Sitting there, and waiting was the worst. I shook, and cried, and waited. Kristi came with Lexie, and held me tightly, while Lexie held my hand. I wasn't afraid to cry in front of them, but when Adam and James came I had to force myself to stop.

"Taylor," Adam yelled across the hospital. A nurse shushed him, but he ignored her running towards me. He hugged me tightly, and then pulled away to look at me. "What happened?" He asked.

"Drunk driver," I whispered, "Crashed right into us."

I managed to get away with only a few pumps and bruises. My arm did bleed a lot from scratching on the side of the door. I couldn't help it, I broke down in front of Adam, even though I vowed not to. He held me like Mason would have held me. "It wasn't your fault," He whispered in my ear.

"Yes it was," I cried, "We got in a fight, and when I tried to warn him he didn't want to hear me. And it was my fault the fight even started. I'll never forgive myself if he goes."

Adam hugged me again, and just let me cry on him. Soon James came, and hugged me too.

When Dad heard about the accident, he came running to the front desk. "I'm looking for my daughter," He gasped, "Taylor Rodes."

"Dad, over here," I yelled.

Dad looked over, and let out a sigh of relief. He was beside me in two long stride, holding me to his chest. "I thought I was going to lose you," He whispered, "Please don't leave me."

Instead of responding, I cried harder.

Within the next few hours, the waiting room was packed. Ashley, Sam, and Jordyn were there. Some of Mason's friends from school were there too. Jordyn's family was also there, weeping in a corner. From what I knew they were the closest real family Mason had had since his mother and brother died. A school couch showed up who said he couched Mason in football Freshman year, and even if he wasn't that good he still respected Mason, and thought he was a great kid.

Finally, Mr. Slatter showed up. Without talking to a nurse, he stormed into the waiting room, and yelled over the crowd, "Where's my son?"

When no one responded, I stepped forward, and whispered, "He's in intensive care."

A vein on Mr. Slatter's forehead popped out, and so did his eyes. His face grew red, and he stared right at me. "It's all your fault isn't it."

He pointed a shaky finger at me, and waited for a response, but my Father stepped in front of me. "Now you listen here," He started, but I put my on his arm. He turned around to look at me, and I nodded.

"Mr. Slatter, it's not my fault," I whispered, "You were the one who told him to get hit by a car."

He stepped back, his face filled with horror. "I...I didn't." He stuttered, and when I crossed my arms over my chest, he exploded. He pushed things over, and kicked the front desk repeatedly. Police officers had to assist him out of the building.

We continued to wait. Sitting there in the chairs that were open. Soon peopled started to go home: Jordyn's family, Dad with Lexie asleep in his arms, and Mason's friends from school, plus that couch. I sat alone in the waiting room with Kristi, Adam, James, and Jordyn. I played with my hands in my lap, anxious. "He's going to be alright," Kristi whispered into my ear. She didn't know that though, and neither did I.

"The family of Mason Slatter?" The nurse called, holding her little clip board.

We all stood up, but I stepped forward slightly. "Is he alright?" I whispered.