Switched Places

A/N:
Date 5-27-17

Hey everyone! I'm so sorry for not updating yesterday!

I swear I had this chapter done last night! But while I was rereading it at 10pm, I fell asleep. I promise I was going to update yesterday.

I've been exhausted for days, and I guess it finally caught up to me.

Word Count: 3000

--------------------------------------------------

Chapter 21: Switched Places

Lucas and Lena enter the basement from the stairs. Lucas flips the light switch on, seeing the room looks the same as the last time they were here.

Lucas searches for the small hole that he noticed last time. He finds it after a moment, alerting Lena.

Lena walks over cautiously. "What is it?"

"I'm not sure. It could be nothing." Lucas says unsurely, but brings out his claws anyway to test his theory. "But I'm willing to try something."

Lena glances at Lucas' claws to his face, eyes widening in wonder of what he's doing.

Lucas uses a single claw, sticking it in the small hole until he feels it press down on something.

There's a soft grinding noise, so quiet that Lena doesn't seem to hear it, but Lucas does.

That part of the wall pulls away from its spot and slides open, creating a doorway down a dark staircase.

"You were right." Lena whispers in amazement.

"I guess I was." Lucas replies, shocked that he was correct about the basement being out of the ordinary.

Lena takes a step forward, but Lucas shoves his arm ahead of her to pull her back. "Let me go first. This could be some sort of trap."

Lena swallows nervously, worrying for Lucas' safety. "Be safe." Lena says, kissing Lucas on the cheek before he walks through the new doorway.

Lucas makes it down the stairs by feeling along the wall, then he takes a step into the unlit hallway, and one by one lights come on. Motion sensors.

Lucas almost jumps as he feels a hand on his back, but he only tenses slightly as he recognizes the sweet smell of Lena.

Lucas turns slowly and Lena drops her hand. "I thought you were waiting in the other room." Lucas says softly in an almost whisper because he fears someone might hear them. Which is ridiculous.

"Are you kidding? I would never leave you." Lena says sincerely, gazing up at Lucas. Lena will always be there for him if she can help it.

Lena puts a hand on Lucas' shoulder and he instantly puts his hands on her waist. Lena tilts her head up as he tilts his down a bit so their lips meet in a gentle kiss.

Lena loses herself in the kiss, refusing to think of anything besides this moment. When it's over and Lena pulls away with a soft smile, she wonders if that will be their last kiss. Who knows what they'll find in this secret room?

"Are you sure I can't convince you to stay back?" Lucas asks with a sad grin, hoping Lena will stay safe.

"We're going in together." Lena says determinedly.

Lucas nods his head once, clenching his jaw as he feels adrenaline rushing through his body, urging the wolf side of him to appear and protect.

Lucas grabs Lena's hand, reassuring himself that she's here and safe. Thinking of Lena and feeling her hand in his, Lucas is able to keep his eyes brown and his nails normal. The pressure that Lucas feels in the teeth that are trying to sharpen into fangs goes away too.