Rallying the Troops

A/N:
Date 6-10-17

Hey everyone! The picture above is a spike strip. You'll understand later.

Word Count: 3000

----------------------------------------------

Chapter 28: Rallying the Troops

After some thinking, Adrian concludes that he shouldn't spend any more time sitting around doing nothing. Adrian should be taking care of himself, the way he wasn't able to take care of his friends. They died, and Adrian isn't planning to do the same.

True, some of those Kitsune Vampires were not Adrian's friends, but a few of them sort of were.

And that's exactly what Adrian was attempting not to think of.

Besides, Kitsunes were always meant to be loners. They tended to stick to the motto, "Every man for himself." Or vampire, in this case.

Adrian wonders why he was never content with being completely alone like the others of his kind.

Adrian usually had someone by his side, and when he didn't, Adrian was bored. If there's no one to make fun of, how do you happily survive?

The answer is, you don't.

Which leads into Adrian thinking about Lucas, and how Lena's been freaking out ever since he was kidnapped.

Honestly, Adrian would hunt to the ends of the earth to save Ivie if she was kidnapped, even though they've only known each other for a few months. So Adrian understands Lena's distress.

What Adrian doesn't understand is how Lena never noticed that her parents are vampire hunters. But Adrian guesses if you're not looking for something, you won't find something. And Lena probably wasn't trying to look for supernatural occurrences in her house.

"Adrian! Do you ever listen to me?" Adrian hears someone ask, sounding a tad frustrated.

"No." Adrian replies automatically as he blinks and looks towards the person. Adrian was sure he locked his door... guess not.

"I knocked, thought you were ignoring me, and came in anyway. Then I was talking to you, and you just stared at the ground." Monique says, crossing her arms spitefully.

"Oh." Adrian says, wondering how she snuck up on him, the vampire with heightened senses. Adrian must've been traveling through the deepest part of his mind, oblivious to the world around him.

"I was apologizing. I don't understand you, and I probably never will, so I shouldn't push you to admit you actually have feelings." Monique explains because Adrian wasn't listening the first time she apologized. Not that Adrian would call that an apology. He's heard better.

"Is that all?" Adrian questions, shifting his gaze towards the window, wondering if it would be better to skip town. If Adrian left, it might be better for himself and everyone else.

"Lena's been delayed. She won't be able to get to Lucas for another three and a half hours or so. That means there's time for you to make it there to help if you want to." Monique tells Adrian, ignoring his rude demeanor.

Adrian's attention snaps back into focus, replaying what Monique said in his head to make sure he heard her right.

If Adrian leaves right now, he should make it to Topeka around the same time Lena and her father do.