Whispers That Are Heard

A/N:
Date 6-18-17

Hey everyone! Sorry this chapter is so late. I've been busy at home and trying to get my thoughts together for this chapter was harder than usual.

But here's an extra long chapter, just for you!

Word Count: 3188

-----------------------------------------------

Chapter 31: Whispers That Are Heard

"Are you okay?" Lena whispers to Lucas when she finds him outside her first hour class after the bell rings. Lucas was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and his eyes closed.

Lucas gives Lena a small smile, then kisses her on the cheek in appreciation. "Yep. Just a bit tired. No big deal."

Lena slips her hand in his as they walk to second hour. "What about your side?" Lena whispers, not wanting anyone to overhear.

Lucas squeezes Lena's hand reassuringly while answering. "All healed up."

They stop in front of the door to Lena's next class. Because Lena and Lucas are a year apart, they only have one class together. Gym class, where their only interaction is games like dodgeball, soccer, and football. And it's a 50/50 chance of them being on a team together.

"I wish we had classes together." Lena tells Lucas with a frown.

"At least we have lunch in a few hours." Lucas says optimistically.

"Yeah." Lena says with a small smile. Lena's grateful that lunches are mixed, and their lunch time depends on what homeroom class they have, not what grade they're in.

Lena moves to enter the classroom, but Lucas grabs her arm gently to stop her. Turning Lena towards himself, Lucas tries to make Lena feel better.

"We can start going out on dates, or hanging out at my house." Lucas promises, knowing they can finally focus on their relationship.

"I don't think your mom would appreciate me coming over to your house." Lucas adds with a humorous grin.

Lena laughs at Lucas, shaking her head at the irony. "Okay. We'll hang out soon. But I'm grounded right now, so..." Lena's laughter falls away as she remembers her mom, actually her stepmom (Lena keeps forgetting about that), was angrier than she's ever been when Lena and her dad arrived home late last night.

"We'll figure something out. I could always sneak into your room like in the movies." Lucas suggests, quite seriously.

Lena opens her mouth to answer to that sort of ridiculous statement, but the warning bell rings. That means it's only one minute until class begins.

"We'll finish this talk at lunch." Lena says in a hurry. "Now get to class or you'll be late!" Lena gives Lucas a slight shove down the hall, which only results in Lucas blinking at her, having not moved.

Lena rolls her eyes at his werewolf strength and balance, then she makes a "shoo" motion like he's a stray.

Lucas gives Lena a teasing frown, then heads for his own class.

Lena walks into Geometry class and sits by Jerica. They haven't been hanging out as much as usual, with all the supernatural difficulties and the fact that Lena is dating Jerica's brother.

But Lena never meant for that to tear her and her best friend apart, so she silently vows to spend more time with Jerica.

~*~