{33} It Shouldn't Have Happened

~Angel~

Everyone has their own meanings of the word Awkward.

For some people it's awkward if they walk in on their parents doing it.

For some people it's awkward when they accidentally see their sibling in the middle of getting dressed.

For some people it's awkward when they bump into their ex.

For me, it's awkward to face the same boy you almost had a hot make out session with, but then was ruined by your stupid twin brother, who then announced it to you cousins and made the rest of the night absolutely and completely awkward.

Emphasise AWKWARD!

And yet, here I am, alone in the backyard with said boy, because said brother and said cousins pushed us out here to talk and locked all the doors and windows so we couldn't get back inside.

"Uhm-uh-that kiss-" River starts but I cut him off.

"That kiss shouldn't have happened."

He narrows his beautiful green eyes at me but I don't miss the hurt pooling in them.

You caused it.

And I regret it.

But I just can't get into another relationship after what happened during my last one.

I know, Angel. I know.

"You don't mean that." He says through gritted teeth.

"Yes, I do." I lie through my teeth.

He takes a step closer to me. "Remember what I told you?"

I don't answer. I keep his stare as he looks into my grey eyes. His green eyes darken.

"If there's one thing I hate, it's liars." He says lowly, his voice barely a whisper as he repeats what he said to me the night I told him what happened to my grandfather.

"I'm not lying." I gulp.

"Devil, I know you like the back of my hand." He tells me. "And I know you're lying."

"I'm not-"

"Don't lie to me, Angel!" He suddenly shouts, making me jump. He takes a few deep breathes, calming himself down. "What aren't you telling me?"

"Nothing." I lie.

"Again with the lying." He chuckles humourlessly. Darkly.

"I-I'm not--I am lying." I sigh, finally telling the truth.

I close my eyes as I feel tears well up in them. I open my eyes and blink them away and look at River who had definitely noticed.

"Everyone has a story." He starts quietly, stepping closer to me so we were chest to chest. "What's your story, Angel Rose Paris?"

I close my eyes for a few seconds before opening them again.

"Curiosity killed the cat." I whisper softly.

River rests his forehead against mine, closing his eyes.

"What a stupid cat." He whispers just as softly.

I follow his actions and close my eyes, too.

"T-That kiss was a-amazing," I stutter, tears welling up again as flashbacks hit me. "B-But I just can't."

I open my eyes when I feel him step away from me and see him staring intently at me.

"Spill your guts, sweetheart." His voice hard. His eyes cold.

"You are the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me." I admit. "And I wish you had never barged into my life."

His eyes narrow as he glares at me.

The glare on his beautiful face so cold it almost made me flinch.

Almost.

"You're not good for me, Angel." He growls lowly. "But no matter how hard I try, I just can't stay away from you. You drive me crazy. And I swear to god, you'll be the death of me one day."

He turns around and starts walking to the gate that leads to the front yard.

He stops and starts talking without turning around.

"I'm not turning my back on you, and I'm sure as hell not walking away from you, because even if I wanted to, I couldn't. But I don't want to be around you right now, either."

He opens the gate and steps out, letting it slam shut.

He turns around and looks at me, his green eyes boring into my grey ones.

"I'm not giving up on you, Angel. No matter how broken you may be."