Chapter 4 - Questions Answered

"Our den is just ahead. Everyone will love you, I know it!" I chuckled hearing how excited he sounded. He got more and more excited as we got closer and closer. Seeing a small cave, he smiled. "There it is!" I laughed as he sped up. I followed him, going as fast as I could as I kept up with him. He giggled some as he stopped outside, turning human. I changed back as well, and he grinned up at me. "This is it, this is home."

"Wow... We're in the middle of a forest, still."

"Yeah," He smiled up at me. "We have people in both your town and the next town over. Our den runs between the two towns so everyone can access it as easily as possible. Mama!" He smiled and ran into a room, and a woman standing there smiled as she hugged him back. He was right, she did look ill. Going over, I smiled sadly.

"Mom?" She looked up, and tears filled her eyes as she came over.

"Alex? Alex, oh my little baby boy, look at how you've grown!" She hugged me, and I hugged her back tightly.

"Yeah, it's me. It's really me." I smiled as I held her close to me, and she smiled as she kissed my cheek.

"Oh, Alex, I'm so sorry I left you be for so long. I wanted to go back for you, but when I had your brother I couldn't leave. Your father wanted to meet you so badly..." She sobbed, and I picked her up, carrying her to a bed and laying her down.

"It's okay, I'm here now. Get some rest, alright? Once you're feeling better, there's some people I want you to meet." She nodded, sighing some. She was pale, and she was definitely running a high fever. She looked thin and sickly, and it scared me seeing her standing because of how unsteady she looked on her feet. "I have a husband and three perfect one-year-olds. They'll love you so much once they meet you."

"Grand-babies?" She smiled weakly and tiredly, and I nodded as she shut her eyes.

"Yep. You just get some sleep. We can talk when you wake up. I'll show you pictures." She smiled, nodding tiredly. I kissed her head, and Mark looked at me sadly.

"She's already asleep..." I nodded, going and wrapping an arm around him.

"I can tell, little bro. It's alright, she needs the rest, obviously." He nodded and looked down sadly. "Hey, cheer up. I know what can help her get better." His eyes widened as he looked up at me, hope filling his eyes. "My mate's grandfather, he's our doctor. He saved my life more than once. I got hit by a car and was in a coma, pregnant, for three months, but I'm perfectly fine now, and so are my babies. I can call him. He'll come for me." He looked at me, shocked and with tears streaming down his face.

"Really? A good doctor?" I nodded, pulling my phone out. I called Caleb, knowing he was probably waiting for me to call anyways.

"Alex? Baby are you okay?" I laughed and shook my head, smiling.

"Yeah Caleb, I'm fine... Better than fine. I just met my mom..."

"Babe," He sounded worried, and I rolled my eyes and switched it to a video call. He gave me a look telling me he still didn't trust this. "Are you sure it's your family?"

"I know it is, Caleb. I just... I feel so at home here. They're so perfect. I know it's my family, Caleb. I'm more sure about this than I'm sure I love you." He sighed, smiling at me hearing that.

"Alright, I get the point. So then if things are so perfect there, why'd you call me?"

"Well... There's one thing that's less than perfect." I sighed, but I gave Mark a reassuring smile. "I was hoping you could send Dr. White here..."

"What? Baby what's wrong, what happened? Are you hurt?"

"No, no I'm fine... But my mom... She looks like a breeze could knock her down. She's paper white, thin... She's really, really sick. They don't have the medical resources we do." He looked at me, sadly, nodding.