Chapter 12 - New Dangers, Old Foes

After hearing Dr. White's warning, I asked him to keep what he knew a secret from Caleb. If my mate knew that I was hunting down a wild wolf without him there with me, he wouldn't let me leave. However, Hirem needed his mate. I had seen the damage the depression of not knowing the location of your mate could do. I had attended funerals because of it. I refused to allow that to happen to the man that had once just been a boy. Specifically, the boy who saved my life. Every time I looked at him, I remembered when I first came out to my friends. I was a freshman in highschool at eleven years old. My family has no problem with me deciding I preferred boys over girls.

I was young and naive, so I believed that my large group of friends were true friend. I didn't realize they were in it for the study help with the little genius. John and Kim weren't there yet; they were in middle school. Hirem was fourteen, a normal freshman. But when I told him and the others that I liked boys, he was the one who protected me. The others called me names, pushed me, even hit me. But as my mental disorders set in, took over the young genius, kept me in the same grade for a year... He was still there. He never made fun of me, or ignored me. When I became alone, scared, and depressed, he was there to hold me and tell me I wasn't alone.

Then I was twelve, and he was fifteen, and he stole my first kiss. Two weeks later, he was gone; whisked away by his abusive, homophobic parents that he never told me about. Being left without him, I flunked through another year. I met Kim and John then, once we were in the same grade. Between them and finding the right meds and therapist, I finally pulled myself together my second sophomore year. All the while, I was missing my first real friend who helped me through Hell and back. Now he had been back for over a year, almost two, and he was in the same state. It destroyed me to see that; to admit that. That was why we were a mile away from the den, heading into the forest. "Alex..." I looked at him, smiling softly.

"Yeah, Hirem? You need anything?" I stopped when I noticed his face; he seemed green. "You feeling okay?" He leaned into me, and I began stroking his hair.

"No... I feel sick..." I gently began to rub his stomach, hoping to soothe it. He shut his eyes, pain twisted onto his face. Some relief mixed in from the small circles I was rubbing into his stomach, but it was obviously not enough. I slowly knelt down, tugging his sleeve. He let me gently guide him down beside me, leaning on me for support. "It's so sudden, I felt fine a few minutes ago..." I nodded, letting him move away as he began to cough. He spit out a couple of mouthfuls of vomit, whimpering as he did so. I knew exactly what it was; morning sickness. It had hit me not long after finding out as well.

"I know, just wait a little while and it should pass. We can wait, I promise." He nodded, curling back up into a ball. He leaned into me, still in his ball, as he shut his eyes. He was taking deep breaths, trying to focus. I knew he was trying to simply will away the feeling of puking, or being sickly in general, so I left him be. When he began to drift off to sleep, I whispered softly to him, trying not to disturb him. "Do you want to stay out here, or go home?"

"Stay here..." He looked up at me sleepily, eyes almost closed.  "Wake me if he comes." I nodded, so he shut his eyes, allowing himself to fall into a peaceful sleep. I sat there patiently, waiting for either him to wake up, or his mate to come back.

One minute. Two minutes. Fifteen minutes. An hour. Two hours. Three hours. Time passed slowly, leaving me agonizingly bored. I considered taking him back to the den as he slept, the night sky beginning to blanket us. Despite that boredom, I couldn't leave him alone, and I couldn't risk waking him to leave. Instead, I slowly drifted off as well. I couldn't say how long I slept; I never meant to fall asleep. More importantly, however, was what I woke up to. It was the sound of twigs snapping; leaves crunching. Someone was coming near us.