Chapter 16 - Relax

That night, I found myself waiting with my sister at the diner while Caleb took care of Hirem and the triplets. She was wearing a nice dark blue dress with lace sleeves, and she'd pinned back her hair into a braid and put on makeup. It had taken a decent amount of self convincing not to make her change, considering it wasn't some big fancy event, but I'd managed it. I'd just worn a white button up and black pants. I was sure this boyfriend of her's wouldn't be in anything much different.

"Please don't make a scene or anything..."

"As long as he's nice and treats you right, I won't. But I don't promise anything if he's an asshole." She sighed, looking nervously at her phone.

"He should be here in about five minutes." I chuckled, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Iz, relax. I promise, no wolf talk, and no freaking him out. Just a nice dinner to get to know your boyfriend." She nodded, glancing up at the door. I couldn't help smiling when I saw her light up, her eyes turning to someone outside. I looked up, expecting a boy I might recognize from her school. When my eyes met his, I was surprised to see someone who had graduated in my class. Still, I kept quiet, wanting to make my sister happy.

"Sam, over here!" My sister waved him over, grinning, and he returned her bright smile.

"There's my beautiful girl. And you must be her brother. Hey, didn't we have a class together last year?" I nodded, forcing a smile as I took his extended hand for a handshake.

"Yeah, maybe. So your name is Sam?"

"Samuel, but I go by Sam." He happily slid into the seat across from me and Isabelle, and my sister blushed just from their eyes meeting. "I love your sister. She warned me you're not much of a fan. I admit, I didn't expect it was you. Your name is Alex, isn't it? You were dating the basketball team captain?"

"Caleb. We just got home from our honeymoon a few days ago."

"So soon?" He chuckled, giving Isabelle a smile. "Isabelle's made it clear she wants to be patient and take things slow, though to each their own I suppose." Don't get mad, he doesn't understand the mating bond.

"It's what was right for us." At least he was listening to Isabelle about her wants for her future. Maybe he really was a good boyfriend for her. "So how did you two meet?" They then both laughed, and Isabelle smiled at me.

"We met last year when I was trying out for that play before things got crazy. His girlfriend was trying out and he couldn't find her."

"Of course, it didn't take long for that to end. She was a psycho. Isabelle really helped me when I broke things off." He took her hand in his own, giving her a passionate smile. "She asked me to prom as friends to cheer me up, but after I saw her in that dress I couldn't help falling for her." Isabelle blushed, and I felt a stab of pain. I hadn't even known she'd gone to my prom. Caleb and I had been busy with the pack and hadn't gone.

"I'm afraid to ask what dress." She laughed, giving me a cheesy grin.

"Don't you remember? You helped me pick it out, Alex. When we were looking for baby clothes for the triplets."

"Right, gods. Sorry, I've spent so many hours staring at aisles of baby clothes since they came." I chuckled sheepishly, and Sam gave me an odd look, eyebrows raised.

"Triplets?"

"Caleb and I's kids. You... Don't remember?"

"Remember what? I don't pay attention to the rumors and stuff." I looked at my sister, who simply shrugged. How did I explain I birthed three kids to someone who didn't remember my pregnancy? I knew how crazy it sounded. Taking a deep breath, I took a chance.