Chapter 15 - Family Disaster

By the time I managed to finish cooking, I could hear my adoptive parents coming downstairs. I couldn't help getting somewhat nervous; I still hadn't talked to them much after finding out who I really was. When they came downstairs and saw Hirem sitting at their table, Caleb dozing off on their couch, and me setting out plates, they stopped. "Alex, we weren't expecting you over. And with Hirem? We haven't seen you in a while." He glances towards them, then back to me rather anxiously. Taking a deep breath, I smiled, gesturing to the meal.

"Yeah, I've been busy, with the honeymoon and the packs... But I was hoping we could talk." They nodded, taking seats across from us. Isabelle sat beside me, which I was thankful for. She eased the tension of the room quite a bit.

"How was your honeymoon, sweetheart? Looks like you've tired that poor boy out." I chuckled, looking over at Caleb with a fond smile.

"He didn't sleep well last night. Things are a bit hectic. The thing is, mom, dad... We found out where my birth parents came from." Their eyes then widened some, and they seemed rather numb. "My parents were from a wild pack. My mom, per pack rules, was supposed to mate to the alpha's son, my dad... But she met my brother's dad. Her mate." They nodded slowly, and I glanced at Hirem. He nodded, telling me to go ahead and tell them everything, so I gave his arm a gentle squeeze. "My mom abandoned her pack when she met her mate. It's why I wound up in the system, they knew I was the heir to her pack."

"But what about this other pack?" My mother frowned, looking at me, clearly confused. "How can you be alpha of two packs?"

"Well the whole thing's a mess. Alphas aren't supposed to mate to other alphas, so Caleb and I in some ways... We shouldn't be. Not that it'll split us up. But my dad is the real issue right now. He had another kid, he had to have an heir for his pack one way or another... So I've got another brother."

"Geez, I'm surrounded by men." I couldn't help chuckling, giving my sister a cheeky grin.

"And I'm still oldest. But anyways... My other brother's rogue right now, he got kicked out until he finds a mate. A female mate. But he's already mated to Hirem." As if given some sort of cue, he ducked his head slightly, beginning to cry again. I frowned, pulling him into a tight hold as they looked at us in shock, soaking it all in. "Hey, hey we're gonna figure this out. I promise."

"So... Hirem is... Your brother in law?"

"Kinda, yeah- in a pack I've got no affiliation with. It's how we wound up here, we were out almost all night trying to find the asshole."

"Alex, language." I rose an eyebrow at my dad, who then sighed. "I'm still the man who raised you."

"And the man who lied to me my whole life. Mom, dad, don't get me wrong... I love you both. But I'm not even human, and everything I know about my life has been wrong. I have to figure this stuff out without you. I know you want to, but... You just can't help with this." They frowned, looking at each other worriedly, holding hands. Watching them, I began noticing just how much they loved each other. After all, I could compare it to myself and Caleb.

"We worry about you, Alex." My mom reached over the table, gently laying her hand on my arm. "We know you must be under so much stress right now... You've never handled it well, it makes us remember when you were younger." I couldn't help the smile that spread on my face, and I grabbed her hand and held it.

"I'm okay, mom. Really. I've got my wolf, my pack- I've got Caleb. And with figuring out everything as a wolf, my anxiety hasn't been so bad."

"Yeah, you're only giving the rest of us heart attacks." I glanced over at Caleb hearing his muffled response, smiling in amusement as I watched him pull the blanket from the back of his couch to cover his face.