Chapter 9 - Temporary Home

Caleb's Point of View

Alex fell asleep on me, mumbling even in his sleep. I'd been so concerned about his sudden mini-meltdown that I hadn't noticed; the girl had gotten off the bus. People were staring, probably because of what Alex had been doing when she'd tried to speak to us again. We'd made out on a public bus. That was something I definitely didn't expect from my anxious little mate, but as I tossed ideas around my head, I realized he'd been changing a lot. The more he learned about himself and his pack, the stronger he became. He'd been gradually growing more confident. I smiled at the thought of him possibly even surpassing me once he'd gone through the alpha boot camp he should've done a few years before we'd met.

"Stop A3, Car Rental Plaza." I sighed, standing up. I carefully got him onto my back, picking up our bags. I grunted; even with my wolf strength, our bags and his body were a bit much to carry all at once. Despite the weight, I got off the bus, and I headed towards the front desk. There was a line, of course. I gently set Alex down on a bench in the corner, setting our bags beside him. I sighed softly, kissing his head, trying not to worry.

"Let's get us a car, and then I'll get you to our cabin." I smiled, and he smiled as well, despite his sleeping state. I then got in the long line, watching him. It wasn't until someone tried to push past me that I realized how spaced out I was. I sighed, forcing myself to look away from Alex. I had to stop acting like he did when he went off his meds. After what seemed like forever, I got to the front of the line. I gave my name, waiting for the car keys for the van we'd rented ahead of time. "Thank you." The attendant nodded, and I turned back towards Alex.

The bench was empty. No bags, no Alex. It was completely empty.

Alex's Point of View

I woke up in what felt like one of the most uncomfortable positions I'd ever been in. I was sitting up, head leaned back against the wall over the back of a stiff, wooden bench. I groaned to myself, tilting my head up carefully. I looked around, chuckling to myself when I saw Caleb in line. He seemed nervous and bored. The smile saddened as I remembered that girl, and what had happened on the bus. However, now, I felt perfectly comfortable to be like we always were with each other. So, I got up, grabbed our bags, and slipped out of sight to wait.

Soon, I saw him get the keys. He turned and looked at the bench, looking for me and our stuff. He began looking around frantically, then leaned down to the bench, looking closer and sneaking a sniff. I took that as my chance. I ran over, hugging him from behind. He yelped and fell forward onto the bench, eyes widening. Everyone was staring at us, but for once, I couldn't bring myself to care. He turned and looked at me, eyes narrowing, but he sighed in relief as he kissed me. I giggled happily, breaking the kiss. "Ass, where were you?"

"I woke up and saw you in line, decided to surprise you." He rolled his eyes, and we smiled at each other as I let him up. He took a hold of my hand, and I led him to where our bags were. "Can we go get our cabin yet? Please?" I drew out the word please, giving him puppy-dog eyes as we picked up our bags. He chuckled, nodding at me happily.

"Yeah. How are you feeling? You passed out on me in the bus." I shrugged, letting him lead the way to our rental car.

"Alright, I guess. I don't remember passing out, exactly. I think I just had a mental overload from my anxiety, but I feel fine now." He sighed, nodding. I tilted my head, looking at him. I couldn't help myself as I studied him some, trying to figure out what was wrong with my mate. I then blushed and looked away; if he felt it necessary, he would tell me what was on his mind. It wasn't uncommon for him to not tell me something because it would cause my anxiety to spike and wasn't a big deal for him. We knew each other's limits, as well as our own.