fifty. connor

a.n. this is based on the song 'honest' by shawn mendes

my phone buzzed with a text from connor, asking to come over.

"can we talk for a moment?" he said when i opened my door and i nodded.

"of course, con." i smiled to him, but he didn't return it, and went and sat on my sofa.

"are you alright?" i asked.

"there's no way to say this that easily.." connor started as i sat down next to him, "but, y/n, everything i said, i swear i meant it and, i.. i need to tell you that this isn't your fault..."

my heart was in my throat as he continued, "i know that i'll probably regret it, and i hate to hurt you, but i've got to be honest; i can't give you what you need."

"connor? wh--"

"you deserve more than i can't promise, and, baby, please know that i'm sorry, but i'm just trying to be honest with you."

a tear slipped down my cheek, "i, are you.. is there some other--"

"i swear to god to you there's nobody else." he said and i sighed.

"what happened?"

"you're gonna say i'm lying when i say that every feeling i felt was honest and sincere, and you were different, but please know i would never lie to you, y/n, and when we kissed i felt like that kid in love. i know that i'll probably regret this, i might wish that i'd never said anything at all, and i hate to hurt you, but i've got to be honest, i can't give you what you need."

i hiccuped, tears now steadily falling down my cheeks as i listened to the gorgeous boy in front of me.

"baby, please, i don't want to see you cry."

"why?" i wiped the tears from under my eyes.

"i'm so often away because of the band, and when i am back you sometimes have work, and of course i'm not blaming you, this is not your fault at all, but i just don't think it's gonna work." connor mumbled sadly.

i nodded, i completely understood, but "i love you, con. i'll always be here, as a friend or more."

"i love you too, y/n, and i'll always be here for you." he offered me a small smile, before pulling me into a hug, his arms tight and comforting around my waist, mine around his shoulder. "i'm sorry."