Chapter 2-Vegas Stag party

Nick's life turned upside down within a matter of months, and the safety of his kids became his top concern when the paranormal activity invaded his home. Reluctantly, Veronique that would be best if they went their separate ways until he figured things out.

It wasn't exactly better when he flew back to Vegas, wanting to avoid Zak and Aaron like the Black Plague so he kept away from their usual pastime areas. He was staying with a friend who tried to show him the good around Vegas, but everywhere he looked were reminders of his former life.

Why did I come here?

He thought, thinking Vegas was a chance to start over but...it wasn't.

Seeing his melancholy mood, his friend, Matt Bailey tried something different to perk Nick from his couch slumber.

"Come on, let's go out. My friend is having a stag party and you should go too. Get out of the house."

Nick scoffed, knowing it would most likely mean going to a Strip Club. This is Las Vegas, the city of sin so of course, this was the only thing on their minds.

"Come on, man. I'm dealing with so much, I really don't want to be surrounded by women...besides I'm still married."

"But you're separated so you can still be a man and enjoy yourself," Matt replied, making a smirk in discomfort and disgust.

He's kind of right, who knows what will happen between him and Veronique now?

We made vows to stay together till death, but...she hasn't contacted me in weeks. I...guess I could accompany Matt as a friend since he's trying to be nice, but one condition...

Nick thought to himself as he spoke,

"I'll go with you, but I won't participate with the girls."

"Sure, man. Let's go."

A few minutes later and they got into his car as night fell, lights of numerous neon colors lit up the sky. As they rode down the dark expressway, the empty space in the pit of his stomach lurched seeing the various monuments he filmed years ago for his marriage proposal to Veronique, showing he would search the world to find her. But now, that may become a ghost of the past of their relationship. Still not wanting to be rude, he decided to go through with the party.

Upon arrival, Nick saw the guys huddle together around a table and after a short introduction, he slowly slipped away from the group as the showgirls came to them for a good time. Heading to the bar, he sat on a stool and made his order of the night. One of the show just happened to walk up to the same bar and glance at Nick, liking that slick dark brown guido hair.

Ooh, he's a cutie...

The bartender handed Nick his drink as he twirled his wedding band on his hand, then felt eyes on him. Glancing over, he grabbed his drink and sipped it trying to signal he wasn't interested.

But the woman ignored those signals and came over to him slowly and sat next to him, back to the bar.

"Hi there, you new here?" She spoke, trying to get him to loosen up.

He glanced again, seeing her ginger Afro hair and dark brown eyes in a light purple bikini. A silk shawl draped over her arms as she rested them on the table.

"Yeah...I just came for my friend."

"That's good, he's lucky to have a friend like you." She stroked his shoulders as he sat motionlessly. She caressed his shoulders and spun him around, using her shawl to draw him close around his neck. He shook his head in disinterest, not wanting to be offensive.

"Look, thanks...but I'm still married."

"Oh, really? So why don't you make me leave?" The temptress slicked the shawl closer as she drew closer to him, almost in intimate distance.

Nick glanced down, his heart throbbing in fear. No way is this the right answer.

"No, please." He grabbed her by the arms and pushed her off gently, smelling her perfume.

"Look, you're nice and all. But I just...can't."

He walked away, the blaring music muffled as the door shut behind him. Needing some air and would wait out until his "friend" was finished. He would rather wait in the chill night than go back in there.

Maybe Vegas wasn't such a good idea after all...

Nick thought to himself, realizing his mistake. But where could he go next?

He glanced upwards to the clear sky and could barely make out stars amongst the light pollution, almost reminding him of another city with bright nightlife. Then realized in that same city is one friend lives there.

Slipping his phone from his pocket and scrolling through the contacts pages, he found the number he needed and hit dial. Realizing it was after midnight, it may go to voicemail but this was his last option.

As the voice message concluded, he spoke after the deep tone.

"Hey, hey. It's me. Look, I realize this comes on short notice, but you're the only place I have left. Can you...hit up when you can? Thanks, bye."

He hung up and a few minutes passed, he continued to glance upwards at the stars. Getting no response yet, he waited in his leather-lined jacket zipped up until Matt came out. Taking Nick back to his place, he explained what happened and why he needs to leave Vegas if the person he called can help him. He lay on the couch, sleepless. Tossing around on the sheet-lined couch until a buzz from his phone, glancing down at the ambient glow revealed a text message.

Hey Nick, got your voicemail. I'll call you in the morning, is everything okay?

Not really, things have taken a bad turn and I have nowhere to go.

He texted a reply, then the typing icon came on before another response.

Oh, really? Well, yeah...let me know as soon as you can and we'll figure something out, I got room for one more at my place and could use the company myself. Try to sleep and we'll talk soon, okay Nick?

Smiling a bit in relief, he typed some more. 

Thank you for this, you really are a good friend. See you soon.

No problem, see you soon.

Clicking his phone, the next flight he could book wasn't until next later in the week, but he could now rest knowing he does have one friend out there.