Chapter 8-A Lullaby for the Lonely

A Lullaby for the Lonely

The sunlight shone brightly through the glistening glass, illuminating the hospital room as Aurora stared at Nick's slumbering figure. Praying for his recovery, she reminisced in her flashbacks about the last few moments before he left Ghost Adventures for good.

As Nick was still at odds with the guys, Zak came to Aurora behind Nick's back and offered her Nick's job. She didn't feel right taking Nick's place because he could replace him but agreed to stay on the crew because they have been her family since the beginning. She wasn't at the building when Zak fired Nick before he could move on and say it was Zak's fault. She did however read the post that Nick wrote on his Facebook wall and was heartbroken by the news. Nick eventually met up with her while on a business trip through New York, they talked for a while as she wanted to get Nick's side of the story.

"Yeah, I mean...life is about learning through good & bad experiences...both have made me a better person. We live in a world where negative people try so hard to ruin others' lives. Negative people will say they are your friend & congratulate you one day then the next day does the exact opposite through jealousy & hatred. It's disgusting. Don't ever let someone try & destroy your life. Be real, honest & stay positive. I'm just grateful for what I have experienced." Nick said, Aurora shook her head in understanding.

"I...hope you're okay that I'm staying with Zak and the guys to continue the journey we started...it's sad to see you go. Will we still be friends even if I work with them?" Aurora asked with a sad look in her gaze.

"Yeah, of course. Nothing will change that. Just...don't let this job change who you are. Don't be afraid to leave if you feel unsafe, you're a great person and you're worth more than what Zak wants." Nick placed a hand on her shoulder as he did back in the first days together as a team.

"Life is too short, go out there and live in the only way that you can. 'Cause someone's gonna look up to you someday."

Aurora smiled in that warm, loving feeling she craved for many years. They exchanged a parting hug and promised to remain in touch.

"If you need anything, let me know," Nick said as he gazed over his shoulder,

"Same here."

Aurora smiled, watching her friend head off into whatever he was doing next.

As her flashbacks came to the present, her thoughts remained on what had transpired over the past few months.

Getting a phone call in the middle of the night was the last thing she expected, especially from Nick. Grabbing her phone to text him back, she wanted answers why this voicemail came so suddenly. After they agreed that he could stay with her, she kicked to high gear to fix up her apartment to be suitable for a guest and not just any guest, Nick Groff.

Knowing how it felt growing up to move from place to place without some stability is detrimental to personal growth when in a personal crisis. So wanting to spare Nick from that fate, she gladly opened her home to him. To see him now in a hospital bed instead home, ached her heart but was grateful he was alive at least.

Snapping her out of her thoughts, the door opened behind her with the clacking of heels. Turning around, a tall rather thin blonde woman strides through the room. Clutching her purse under her arm, she gazed at the bed then at Aurora.

"Veronique, you're here?"

Her face contorted in concern,

"How is he?"