longing

Miho huffed as he cycled up the side of a steep hill. Japanese summers were disgustingly humid and the non-existent breeze wasn't doing him many favors. He stopped on top of the hill to brush away the sweat on his hairline.

The sun was blazing with abandon this afternoon, shining brightly in the cloudless sky above his head. Almost everything was perfectly still. The fields barely moved and the only other living beings that Miho could see were the mosquitoes and other bugs.

Not wanting to stay under the sun for longer than absolutely necessary, Miho took off once again. The rest of the trip was easier and the air weaved through his wet hair as he raced down the hill. Ten minutes later and he screeched to a halt outside his father's flower shop.

"I'm here!"

"Get in here Miho-kun, your mother's on the line for you!" Kuronuma, the high school student who was part-timing at the shop rushed outside and beckoned madly for him to follow her.

Miho hurried inside and grabbed the waiting receiver from the girl's hands, "Okaasan? How are you?"

"Miho! I'm fine, it's so good to hear your voice. Where's your otousan?"

"Otousan's gone to the market, sorry." Miho smiled and relaxed, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the front desk.

"That's fine then, I was just calling to make sure the two of your were handling things well."

"We're fine here, but when are you planning to come back?" He eyed the displays, they needed watering. Kuronuma had overlooked them again.

"Hmm, it's hard to say. But I'm working on it."

"How's Zaina?"

"She's...having a hard time at school to be honest. I'm thinking of bringing her back to Japan."

"And...and Harmony?"

There was a pause. Then his mother sighed sadly, "Time will tell, but I can't really speak for her or her family right now."

"Oh," Miho said, "Well, I hope everything sorts itself out sooner than later. Otousan misses you."

"And I miss both my boys. I promise I'll call again soon, maybe sometime next week, but my credit is running out so I have to say goodbye."

"Take care, okaasan."

"You too, make sure you don't spend all your time at the flower shop and actually get some schoolwork done!"

"Yes, mum. No, mum. Three bags full, mum." Miho said, switching from Japanese to an overly exaggerated British accent.

His mother's fond laugh sounded staticy and distorted, "Very witty, now hang up before this call gets too expensive."

They exchanged their final goodbye and Miho placed the receiver down, ending the call. He missed his mother and sister, and calls like these were far and between.

One day, he thought to himself as he slipped on his work apron, we'll all be together again.

***

a.n. instead of a cpn chapter, I decided to write a little short from miho's pov back in japan. let me know what you think! this phone call between aunt eevie and miho takes place in the present time, right after the previous chapter. everything will go back to harmony's pov in the next chapter.

it was very refreshing and fun to write like this again + from a different character's perspective! i hope it gave you a little insight to the ever-elusive miho-kun and what he's been up to since we last saw him ~

you can check out the pin board i made for miho here: pinterest.com/heymaoiel/oc-miho/
my username is @ heymaoiel + you can get a sneak peek at a few upcoming Recheche characters' boards too *wink wink* 

i guess the lesson of the day is: don't be afraid to try something new, you might end up loving the result! 

have a lovely day,

- maoiel