Chapter 20 - Seeing Stars

You ran out of the gardens. You didn't know where you were going. You just wanted to get away. Away from both Jimin and Jungkook. You found the first door you could in the castle and went inside. It led to a tower, with stairs curling up the top. 

You climbed up the steps, wiping your tears away as they fell. You were exhausted. Jungkook was a jerk. Jimin was a jerk too. What did you do to get caught in their little feud? They were adults. Why didn't they just act like it? This wasn't your problem.

And... something about Jungkook using you really hurt.

Maybe if he had said something in the beginning, it wouldn't have been so bad. Then at least you would have known that the reason he had been hanging on you all night – teasing you and trying to make you laugh – was just for show.

But you didn't know.

You stopped climbing the stairs,leaning your head against the wall and sniffling. You didn't want to be sad about it. You wanted to be angry. You wished you kicked him harder.

"[Y/N]?"

You looked up the stairs to see Taehyung walking down to you. He rushed to you, placing his hands on your face.

"What's wrong? Were you threatened again?"

You shook your head. "No, no. No threats. Just a rough night."

He wiped your tears away with his thumbs. "Want to talk about it?"

You shook your head.

His hands went from your face to your shoulders. There was a long silent pause as he stared at you.

"All right," he finally said. "You don't have to tell me. But..." He looked up the steps then back to you. "Let me show you something. It might cheer you up."

He took your hand and motioned for you to follow him up the stairs.

After a few minutes of climbing until your legs burned, Taehyung opened a door at the top that lead out onto the roof.

The view was amazing.

You could see the lights of the entire kingdom. Everything shimmered and glowed against the navy sky. Bright stars glistened next the full moon.

"You like it?" he asked.

You nodded enthusiastically. "I could stay here for hours."

"Go ahead. The castle is yours,Princess."

"Taehyung," you scolded. "You're off the clock. You don't have to keep calling me Princess."

He grinned. "But I like calling you that."

The wind caught in his hair as he held a playful smirk. It reminded you of that brief moment when you first met, not knowing who he was. He was the first person to greet you,and he had always been sweet. It was good to have him close by. 

"What are you doing up here,anyhow?" you asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" he replied,motioning to the lights. "I come up here a lot to stargaze."

He sat on the ground and laid back,his hands behind his head. He looked so happy that you couldn't help but do the same.

"You'll get your dress dirty."he commented.

You shrugged. "There are worse things. Like getting kicked in the head." You paused. "Actually,I take that back. That's really not that bad."

Taehyung laughed. "Not bad?"

"Nah. You just get stunned for a bit, but it doesn't hurt as much as you think it would."

"You really are full of surprises,Princess."

You and Taehyung spent the better part of the night talking. You lost track of time. Between the good conversation and the starlit night, your worries and pain from the evening started to melt.

"Do you feel better?" Taehyung asked.

You turned your head to him and nodded. "Thank you. This is just what I needed."

"Anytime, Princess."

You would have hugged him if you could, but with both of you lying on the ground, it made it difficult. Instead, you wrapped your hands around his arm and leaned your forehead on his shoulder. He patted your head and ruffled your hair, picking up on the message.

"Well. You two look cozy."

You and Taehyung sat up to see Jungkook in the doorway.