{ Chapter 4 }

"Mrs. Kim? Can I speak to you in private for a second?" I asked, clutching Sheila's phone in my hand and my grooming bag in the other.

"Sure, meet me in my office. I'll be there in a second." She replied, eyeing me slightly. 

I had never had a problem that was worth talking to her about until now. I was sure that she thought something like my mother or Wild Fire had died because of that. Mrs. Kim also knew that Sheila constantly bothered me but knew I could fend for myself. But this, this whole branch incident, was too much. It was a life or death situation just because of a damned horse show! I rightfully won. Unlike Sheila who probably would have bribed the judges just to win, if they hadn't know her. 

Shuddering, I walked into Mrs. Kims office and sat down in one of the ratty, navy blue chairs placed in front of her desk. Mrs. Kim's office was immaculately cleaned, besides the single stray paper that threatened to fly off her desk any moment. I moved on the desk so that the wind would not grab it. As I moved the paper, my eye caught a familiar word. Wild Fire, 3 star eventing horse for 20k. I gasped and recoiled. Wild Fire was definitely not for sale. The door started to creak open when Mrs. Kim strode in. Before she saw that I was snooping, I slip the paper back on her desk. 

"Ok, Kayla what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" Mrs. Kim asked with the coolest voice, no hint of worry.

"Well, for starters, I apologize for making everyone wait but this issue needs to be addressed now." I replied, trying to sound just as calm.

"It's fine. Continue."

"Yesterday, while I was working Wild Fire, a branch broke and she spooked and almost broke a leg. I stayed on and am not hurt. But, when I walked over to where the branch fell, I thought, 'The wind isn't blowing what the heck! Then I caught a glimpse of pink."

I cautiously slid Sheila's phone across the desk towards Mrs. Kim. She picked it up and raised her eyebrows, beckoning me to continue. 

"I clicked the 'on' button and the picture is Sheila and Tyler. I tried the password and got it right. 852258 is the password."

Mrs. Kim clicked the buttons and opened Sheila's phone expectantly. 

"I thought there might be something I needed to know, so I went to Brittany's messages. Then look."

I clicked on Brittany's messages and scrolled to the texts that were plotting my death.

Mrs. Kim gasped and shuddered. She stood up abruptly and marched out of her office. I cringed as she slammed the door. I got up and straightened up the papers that had gone askew with the sudden gust of wind. Once everything was back where it was before, I left the office. When I opened the door, there was a furious Mrs. Kim and a terrified Sheila marching towards me. When Sheila spotted me from my spot by the office door she flipped me off and shuffled after Mrs. Kim.

I walked over and sat down in the plastic folding chair with the rest of the team. Sydney, my best friend, gave me a look indicating that she heard Sheila talking shit about me.

"She was plotting to kill me. Literally," I told Sydney.

"Bull shit. She would never go that far." Sydney breathed.

"I am so not bull shitting you. She was texting mutant-Brittany and together they were trying to kill or hurt me bad enough so I couldn't ride." I responded.

"That's insane."

"I know, that's why I told Mrs. Kim."

"Sheila is going to get kicked out of the barn."

"She can afford a better barn and go to hell, I wouldn't worry."

"Our team and individual scores might actually go up without her,See there is good to this situation I guess" Sydney said pointedly.

"Yeah I guess." I responded while looking over to the door.

At that moment, Sheila and Mrs. Kim walked out of Mrs. Kim's office. I cringed as a trailer sped up and sprayed gravel. Sheila walked to Luna's Blue Moon aka Luna's stall and haltered her with hands shaking with rage. I cringed and turned away. Sheila slammed the stall door open, spooking Luna. Sheila paid no attention to her horse and just yanked her away, towards her trailer.

I turned around to see Mrs. Kim smirking at the ground. Sheila was finally gone.