{ Chapter 5 }

The days and Advanced Event Team practises went by quickly without Sheila in tow. Wild Fire and I were in top shape and couldn't wait for our next event, The Event At Rebecca Farm. I planned to enter once I got home from practice.

"Ok, our next event: The Event At Rebecca Farm, is going to be grueling. You will be competing against the toughest young eventers in the country. We will be taking team and individual scores, so you all need to do your best." Mrs. Kim announced to me, Tyler, Alicia, Sydney, and Jacob.

"As you already know, we will begin with dressage," Mrs. Kim continued, "So, we will work on our dressage performance, moves, and connection with our horses for three weeks. That is what you will practice at home for all three weeks along with low jumping. Yes, low jumping. That means nothing over 60 centimeters." There were collective grounds from everywhere in the circle of young eventers.

"Let's get started people! Get your horses immaculately groomed and tacked up in your practice and I repeat practice tack. I don't care how far away Rebeca Farm is but you will not use your show tack. Ok, great now tack up and get ready for a grueling lesson!" Our trainer yelled.

"With no stirrup work. Y'all need it." Mrs. Kim muttered under her breath.

There were more groans. But, Sydney and I just laughed and went to grab our horses. 

"Meet you in cross ties numero uno ey dos?" Sydney asked in spanish.

"Yup see you in a bit." I replied as I walked away to get Wild Fire from where she was tied to the trailer. Once I got out there, I found that Wild Fire had pulled her lead lose enough to reach the grass. I laughed and untied her then lead my mare into the first pair of cross ties and waited for Sydney and her gelding, Drunk Off You aka Pancake.

As if on cue, Sydney and Pancake arrived 0.2 seconds after me. Sydney secured Pancake in the second pair of crossties while I secured Fire in the first pair.

"Misses do you need any help with your horses?" Carlos, our best groom, asked in his Mexican accent.

"I think were good Carlos," I replied with a smile.

Carlos walked off to help someone while Sydney and I went to get our practice dressage tack from our trailers. Sydney and I parted and I went to the left and Sydney went to the right. Once my best friend was around the corner, I sprinted to the trailer and threw open the tack 'room' door. I was determined to get back to our horses first. This little 'race' had been Sydney's and I's little competition ever since we were 14.

I pulled out my grooming bag, helmet, lilac saddle pad, Wintec dressage saddle, A/P bridle, and front, lilac, dressage boots. I got everything secured in my arms before [attempting] to jo back to the barn. All of my tack and supplies bounced in my arms as I jogged into the barn.

"Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow." I muttered as I jogged back to Fire and Pancake.

Sydney was already there, making Pancake shine even more than her already was. I cringed as I set down all of my things on a saddle rack.

"Ha! I beat you!" Sydney sang out with pride.

"Ha, ha. All of this tack ways a ton when your jogging with it," I gramanced.

We smiled at each other then burst out laughing for whatever reason. 

Once our horses were tacked up, we lead then into the indoor dressage arena because it was now drizzling. 

"Let's move people!" Mrs. Kim yelled from the center of the arena on her 17hh Dutch Warmblood, Duchess of England aka Ducky.

"All of you! Trot in hand then work in hand. Make sure your horses are stepping under with perfection!" 

This was going to be a hard lesson, I thought as I lengthened my stirrups. Goodbye legs