TWO ૐ THE VISIT OF ALEX STANDALL

OLIVIA PADDED DOWN the steps, her curly hair wet from the shower. She peeks her head to every room, having a feeling of panic lying on her chest when she can't seem to find her child. She watches the then instantly relaxes when she saw him with Noah and my two other brothers, Owen and Dom by the pristine white couch, watching a rerun of Phineas and Ferb.

  Noah had grown taller since she last him, his shoulders pointy and broader, dark hair long enough for it to reach his eyes. His physique, however, hadn't improved. He was still so very thin. Noah was a miracle baby. He was born a month early and had to stay to the hospital for further observation, the doctors declared that he may not be able to leave the hospital or else he would be put into harm but two weeks later, he was finally allowed to see the outside world. Owen and Dom, on the other hand, haven't grown an inch. Their hair are longer now and curlier than ever.

Owen sports a bandage on his arm from when they were playing at the woods just a week ago and Dom's skin is darker than the last time she saw him. Noah looks over at his sister curiously, noting her all dressed-up and fumbling across the room as she picked up toys and arranged disarrayed furniture.

  He asks, "What's the fuss all about?"

Olivia answered, voice muffled behind the couch. "Alex's coming over."

  Noah begins to frown and leans closer, not having heard her statement at the first time. "Who?"

  "Alex." Olivia stated more clearly, moving toward the kitchen to prepare fresh lemonade.

  Noah, upon hearing Alex's name, jolts in surprise and stood up so fast that he accidentally kicked Owen in the ribs. Owen cries out and sneaks back a kick at the back of Noah's leg. Noah ignores him and brushes imaginary dirt from his clothes and picks up Grayson from the couch and puts him on his crib then makes a run for the mirror mounted on the hall. He fixes his knotted bed-hair, he goes to the kitchen and watches Olivia walk around the kitchen island.

  Olivia looks up and raises both eyebrows upon seeing him looking more presentable. "You look nice, which is a first because it's 10 am and you usually look miserable throughout the morning."

  Noah rolls his eyes, ignoring the pounding of his heart. He mutters lamely, "It's because i'm not a morning person."

  The doorbell rings then, cutting their conversation short. Olivia's face brightens up with an excited smile, a warm fuzzy feeling filling up her chest with the idea of seeing her bestfriend after a very long time. Olivia squeezes Noah's arm as she pass by and Noah nervously fixes his appearance once more until he follows.

  Alex launches himself on Olivia, a heart-wrenching grin on his face as he pulled her into his arms. He was the only one who knew and the only one who understands. He gushed, "Holy shit, I missed you so much! Look at you, goddamnit, look at you! You look beautiful, damn mami. You don't look like you gave birth or something, wow, jesus!"

  Olivia giggles and tears of joy sprung into her eyes, "Yeah, i know. Your hair is longer and wow, you look so much like your brother now. How were you? You need to tell me everything!"

  Alex laughs, "As if we didn't talk on the phone every night, but okay." He stands still as Owen and Dom walks up to him and greets him boisterously, talking animatedly about video games.

  Olivia nudged Noah and walks backward to the kitchen, "Hey, Noah? Do you mind showing Alex to Grayson? Please be cautious when it comes to the boys, they're not yet used to being gentle. I'll just go get something from my room."

Noah gulped and mustered his courage before doing what she says, internally trembling. Olivia races up to her room and found her mom inside, drawing the curtains back. She opens her mini walk-in closet and started scourging for the things she bought for Alex and froze when her Mom speaks up.

"Are you planning to let Grayson meet his father?"

She looks over her shoulder to find her mother staring at her, seated at her bed.

Olivia knew sooner or later that the topic would somehow be brought up by her mother but hearing it still conjures shock all over her body. She opens her mouth but nothing comes out, she aimlessly fiddle through her clothes and muttered, "I wasn't."

"Why not? A child has the right to meet their father." Harriet acknowledges.

Olivia releases a sigh, "I don't think it's a good idea for him to meet Monty. Montgomery's a very troubled guy, he's bad-tempered, reckless and an asshole. He's not a fit for a father and if he finds out, who knows what he'll do. Grayson and I are better off without him."

Harriet shakes her head with disbelief and  mused, "So that's the choice you're gonna take? You're just gonna let your son live without a father, a broken family? What are you going to tell him when he gets older and question you every day where his dad is, what was he like and why wasn't he there with him? He'll grow up blaming himself, lost and angry at the world. Are you ready to live with that?"

Harriet approaches her daughter and gently rubs her rigid shoulders and Olivia ignored her as she absentmindedly fiddled with her clothes.

"It's not up to you anymore, Livvie. You have to see the bigger picture here. It's not just about you anymore, but also your child. I just want the best for you two." Harriet plants a kiss on her daughter's head and whispered, "Think about it." before she walks out of her room, leaving Olivia deep in her thoughts.

" before she walks out of her room, leaving Olivia deep in her thoughts