Three

Photo of Skylar
Song: Kingdom fall by Claire Wyndham

The huge ballroom was abuzz with the sounds of music and the soft murmur of a small crowd as guests chatted and laughed amongst themselves, mingling over wine and appetizers.

Skylar moved through the crowd, smiling, nodding, thanking the guests and discreetly advertising her skills as they politely complimented the ballet performance she'd presented that evening.

She'd already received a couple of invitations to perform at other soirees and had exchanged call cards with a few of the guests when a waiter passed her a note.

It was Tigo requiring her urgent attention.

She made her way to the doorway, following the waiter who seemed to have been given instructions to usher her to their meeting.

It wasn't unusual for him to ask for her this way, especially, after a performance like tonights. She deduced that it was most likely to be another work offer. It usually was.

She was shown into a smaller room just down the hallway from the ballroom which was carpeted and housed a stage and some fancy gold plated velvet dining chairs piled on top of each in a row, on one side of the otherwise empty room.

A lady stood in the centre, elegantly dressed in an off the shoulder, long, black, silk crepe dress with billowing sleeves and a single slit up one thigh which only showed when she moved and was cinched with a thin gold belt at the waist.
Her hair was done up in a chignon and the only jewelry she wore were a pair of little gold studs for earrings and a gold watch.

She reeked of wealth, which was one of the things that easily got Skylar on her guard.

Tigo stood facing her, he had on a black tuxedo and was holding a glass of wine in one hand, while chatting animatedly about something as she smiled and nodded, hands clasped together over a tiny black purse with gold detail on the clasp.

Her upright posture and graceful poise, suggested, some sort of finishing training which Sky herself was familiar with as a student of dance.

The woman turned away from him to face her as soon as she walked into the room.

Sky halted her steps, wary, her sixth sense urging her to stay a considerable distance away, close enough to speak without yelling, and far enough to turn around and walk away without being detained, if she didn't like what they had to say.

The lady smiled pleasantly and studied her, before speaking.

'Hello Skylar,' she walked a few steps forward with Tigo on her heels, stopping an arms length away. 'I'm Denise, it's nice to meet you.' She held out her hand.

'Likewise,'  Sky lied, reluctantly taking the offered hand and giving it a cursory shake.

Tigo cleared his throat, 'Denise here was impressed by your performance tonight, she approached me afterwards to set up a meet and greet for her.' He nodded with a pleased look in his eye.

Skylar could almost see the dollar signs gleaming within his black irises.

Denise turned her smile to him, 'thank you for obliging me, dance is just something that appeals to me, like art does to others, even if I can't perform the act to save my life.'

'Well dance is an art.' Tigo responded, redundantly, nodding and laughing at the same time.

Denise nodded as well, 'that is true.' She turned back to Sky who had stood silent the whole time. 'May we speak privately?' she asked Sky, glancing at Tigo as she continued, 'if you wouldn't mind, of course.'