Twenty

Music: Thunder by Imagine Dragons

Brian's eyes were scanning over the report Stephanie was in the middle of preparing for the shareholders meeting they were to hold the following week, when a sudden noise from his office captured his attention.

Looking up, he frowned as he saw Sky lurch to her feet. He tensed and strode quickly to his office, as she swayed, and then held onto his desk for support.

'Sky?' he called as he approached her, stopping dead in his tracks as he saw her close a file she'd been staring at.

His heart plummeted and he immediately understood the cause of her reaction, as she turned around holding the offending dossier.

Wiping the tears rolling down her cheeks, the pain in her tear-filled voice was evident as she asked for an explanation and his thoughts raced as he tried to form the appropriate words to explain why he had a file depicting her past in detail.

But he wasn't given enough time to form an appropriate response before she again wobbled on her feet and then collapsed. He rushed forward, as she keeled over, catching her in his arms as she lost consciousness.

.....

Skylar groaned as she opened her eyes. She squinted at the unfamiliar surrounding wondering where she was, until her senses cleared and she recognized the sterile smell permeating the air as that belonging to a hospital.

Glancing down at herself, she was relieved to see that she was still dressed in her clothes, but her relief was short lived as her eyes landed on the needle in her arm, trailing up to squint at the connecting bag of fluid hanging by her bedside.

The door opened as Brian came into the room, and with him came the memory of the events that had occurred just before she'd blacked out.

Her throat felt parched and she asked for water as he quickly strode to her side.

He poured water from a glass jug into a plastic cup which stood on a table by her bedside, and pressed a button on the side of the hospital bed which lifted the upper part of her body along with it, to a forty-five degree angle, enough so that she was still laying back, but could also drink out of the cup he held to her lips.

'What happened?' she asked as he returned the cup and pulled up a chair to take a seat by her bedside.

'You passed out,' he said gently, resting his elbows on his thighs as he leaned forward, 'and we brought you here.'

'Where's here?' she asked.

'Ahh,' He frowned, looking more than a little concerned.

'I mean what hospital is this?' she clarified.

'Right,' he nodded and gave her the name, 'I know and trust these doctors.' he said.

'When can I leave?' she asked pointedly.

'Not until they come back with your results, ' he responded and pointed to the intravenous injection she had in her arm, 'they gave a preliminary diagnosis of acute dehydration and took a sample of blood for further tests.'

She frowned, 'don't they need my permission for that?'

He grimaced as he gave her his response, 'not when you're passed out, no.'

She was quiet after this and an awkward silence ensued before she quietly stated, 'you had me investigated.'

'I did have you investigated,' he admitted quietly, as she tried to sit up.

'I need to get out of here.' She said as she attempted to remove the needle in her arm.

'No, kitten, stop.' He growled, his powerful grip preventing her from doing so.