Seventeen

Photo of Skylar and Demi-Rose

Music: A thousand years by Christina Perri, [Cover by Samantha Harvey.]

The room was uncomfortably silent as she made her way over to Jax and set down the tray in her hands before taking a seat beside him. He immediately wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her closer to his side.

'We were just talking about Brian's date to the gala.' He paused and seemed reluctant to continue.

'Yeah?' she prodded softly.

'Well, uh...it seems she and I have met before...' his arm around her tightened almost uncomfortably and Demi unconsciously placed her palm on his thigh, her thumb stroking back and forth in a soothing gesture.

'...at Donna, you know, the place I...'

'I know what Donna is,' she cut in softly.

The other two men looked pretty uncomfortable as they feigned interest in everything else but the couple sitting in their midst.

'What does she want?' she asked.

Jax felt her body tense as she quietly posed the question.

He shook his head, his eyes locked on hers, 'nothing...hey, doll, you know whatever I did at Donna is in my past...you're the only woman I care about, you know this.'

'I know,' she responded softly.

Shifting her gaze to Brian, she asked, 'so she's the one you brought with you to the gala?'

He nodded and shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

'Right.' She responded.

Another uncomfortable silence ensued as Jax watched his wife quietly process the information she'd just been given, all the while tracing circles over his thigh with her thumb.

He cleared his throat and glanced at Brian and Evans. It would've been comical to watch grown men such as these two squirm, if he wasn't also worried about her reaction.The last time the subject of Donna came up, she'd been on the verge of walking away from him.

'She seemed...nice when we spoke at the gala,' Demi finally said, 'so...you're dating her now?' again, she levelled her question at Brian, asking the same question that Jax had asked moments before.

Brian slowly shook his head, 'not anymore, she uhh...broke things off with me.'

'Oh,' she nodded, and then frowned.

That was unusual.

Most girls would give an arm and a leg to date a man with the sort of money Brian and his friends had.

'I'm sorry, she broke things off?' she asked dubiously.

'Yeah,' Brian said peering at Demi, as he wondered what was going on in her mind.

'Huh,' she said, frowning.

Jax held in a laugh as he watched his wife's confused expression.

As far as he was concerned, the woman placed undue importance on being polite. He knew the woman he'd married, and right now there was only one question that she very badly wanted answered, but he knew she wasn't going to ask it.

He decided to put her out of her misery.

'Did she say why?' He asked Brian pointedly and shrugged when his friend gave him an odd look.

The three of them had had a conversation about the why just before Demi had walked in. Still, if she needed to hear it, he wanted her to hear it from Brian.