Twenty-Five

Photo of Brianna

Music: One last time by Ariana Grande

It was a gorgeous windy day and after meeting with the cemetery management about taking over the payments for her mother's burial spot, Brian hung back as Sky made her way to her mother's grave.

She took a seat in front of the slab of marble, that was her mothers headstone, as she had so many times before.

'Hi mom,' she said smiling softly, 'I know I haven't been here in a while...a lot has happened since this past year...' she paused to wipe the tear that rolled down the corner of her eye, and then glanced down at the dazzling ring on her finger, 'but I couldn't wait to tell you that I got engaged.' She said laughing softly and sniffling as she held up her hand.

'I didn't bring any flowers today mama, I brought the man that I've chosen to spend the rest of my life with, I know you would've only had eyes for him anyway...' again, she swiped at the tears on her cheeks.

'You would've liked him, his name's Brian, Brian Parker. He's honest and kind and... willing to put up with me,' she said with another laugh.

'I really miss you mama, even more so now that I wish you were still here to see him, and tell him those embarrassing stories you always threatened to tell my future husband, even when I told you I would never marry...'

She paused for a few moments and then continued in a whisper, 'but you knew for certain that I would, and I always said you were crazy, but turns out that you were right.'

She sighed, 'I'm also pregnant,' she said, 'I know you would've wanted me to be married first before thinking about babies, but I guess life had other plans for me. That's the only explanation I can give, it just... happened. At first I didn't know what to think, since we both know that I've been on birth control for years...but well, now I just can't wait to be a mother...' she said smiling.

'I also started design school and Brian, wants me to redesign his entire office, which is...crazy considering that the place already looks great and this is only my first semester in design school,' she laughed, 'I think I'm going to pass on his offer, and take a rain check for next year, when I'll be done with the program. I'll be better equipped then to tackle the design of a huge company like his....

For now, I've stopped my dance performances, doctors orders you know?' she shrugged, 'so I have more free time now to focus on school and teaching dance.

To be honest I'm thinking of giving up performing altogether and focusing on teaching instead. Maybe open a dance school in the future, I don't know...' she sighed and glanced behind her at Brian.

He was dressed in a long black coat and stood with hands in pockets, leaning against his car as he watched her.

She turned back to her mother's headstone, 'I know now that it wasn't your time to go, I know what Fred did to you, and I just need you to know that Brian and I are pressing charges.

I know you're gonna want me to let it go, but I don't think that I can, especially not now that so many other women have come forward with allegations against him.

He's a monster, mom, and I think it's the right time to get justice for you...' she smiled as she continued, 'plus, I'm not fighting alone anymore. Brian wants justice too, but I promise we'll let it go, once your case has gone through the legal system. Whether the court rules in our favor or not, at least your story would have been heard and people will see him for what he really is. That's our justice mom.'

She stood and then turned to hold out her hand to Brian who retrieved a bouquet of lilies from his vehicle before joining her.

He got on his haunches and placed the flowers on the ground in front of her mother's headstone, pausing to touch his hand briefly to the cold slab before stepping back to take hold of Skylar's hand.