Chapter 2 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

------------------------------------------

"Guess what. You're going to have a niece." 

Oh my gosh! I was going to be an aunt and my brother was going to have a daughter. I screamed with joy. Alhamdulillah I was so happy. I knew that my brother and Fatimah would be great parents. 

Seeing my brother happy honestly made me feel so proud. Fatimah came up to me and gave me a hug, 

"I'm going to be a mother," she whispered in my ears. Her ecstasy was evident in the way she spoke. 

Zayn and Fatimah had been married for almost two years. They had known each other for more. I had been a bit sceptical of my brother getting married. But they wanted to get married and so my parents allowed it to be so. 

And in all honesty it was the best decision ever. Fatimah managed to replace the void of not having an older sister. And most of all Zayn was happy with Fatimah and I could see it in his eyes how much he loved her. 

It made me believe that someday someone would look at me like that, like I was their world. 

Zayn had gone to sit at the dining room table.

I did miss my brother. Ever since he had got married he hadn't had time for me. And this would be even more the case once a child was in the picture.

You know I never truly valued all my brother did for me until after he got married and moved out. I always knew I loved my brother but it never occurred to me that he just wouldn't be there one day. Those little things that people do for you but you don't really notice. It was only after that I missed his presence in the house. Despite the fact that I had rarely seen him anyway but it was just the fact that I knew he was there. 

I knew I was being selfish. So I told myself to be quiet. 

Fatimah was in the kitchen cutting up some onions. 

"How's A-Levels going?" She asked me. 

A-Levels were not going well. I mean I had known they were going to be hard but I did not know they were going to take so much out of me. To be honest the first year wasn't too bad at all but this year the content was so much worse. And it didn't help that I chose subjects that required so much writing. Like 40 marks? Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my subjects. I just hated exams. Maybe I should have taken history. At least then, my brother would be able to help me. My brother is a history teacher. 

"How's work?" I asked. My sister-in-law worked as a PA for some travel company. She earned almost double my brother's salary. We joked about it sometimes. But we knew it didn't really bother my brother. At the end of the day, money was materialistic and it wasn't like it was going to follow us into our graves. Plus, my brother loved his job.

I had contemplated being a teacher but I didn't think I would be a good one. I mean I would not want to have that burden on me. Imagine if I was an awful teacher and I messed up a child's life. I mean I doubt it would ever get that serious but you know what I mean. I think that would be one career I avoid. 

"Mali, why are you daydreaming again?" My mother came into the kitchen and scolded me. I smiled at my mother,

"You know I'm your favourite daughter." I was also their only daughter but a minor detail. My mother rolled her eyes at me and told me to go and help Fatimah.

Abdullah was standing at the sink. I pushed him out the way.

"Hey," he shouted at. I liked to annoy him. I should probably mention that Abdullah is my younger brother. Sometimes I was a horrible sister even I had to admit that. My mother glared at me and told me to stop messing about. I did act extremely childish sometimes. Sometimes even I forgot that I was 18 years old. 

After what seemed like years the food was prepared. Finally I could sit down. The food was all ready. Such a blessing! Alhamdulillah. There was samosas, kebabs, pakoras and my favourite biryani. Who doesn't love biryani? Who ever created biryani deserved a Nobel peace prize. Really they did. 

I sat down and placed as much food as I could on my plate. Zayn looked at me, 

"I forgot how much you eat." 

"Yeah, she's a pig." Abdullah piped in. 

"Nobody asked for your opinion. Go back to your hole!" Abdullah glared at me and Zayn scolded me for being rude. Come on, I had to exert my authority in some way. I also should probably clarify, this is all just a joke. We don't really mean it. Most of the time...

"How is school then?" 

Everyone just had to ask that question to me. I knew everyone had such high expectations of me just because my brother set the bar so high. Sometimes, I wished my brother hadn't done that well in his education so the everyone didn't expect that much from me. I know it sounds really horrible but after my brother aced his GCSE's and A-Levels and got accepted into Oxford University to study History, everyone looked to me to reach my brother's standards. But I just wasn't that intelligent. My GCSE grades weren't even upto my brother's level let alone anything else in my life.

I sighed inwardly. I didn't like to show it but sometimes I felt suffocated. I wanted to do well, don't get me wrong. But I didn't think I'd achieve as much as my family expected me to but at the end of the day if I tried then that is all that mattered. Well, that's what I liked to tell myself anyway.