Chapter 12 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

I had to get away. I couldn't stand looking at him. I felt sick. Ever since that day I had no idea how to act around anyone. I didn't want to hurt my brother. Looking at my neighbour's wife, I felt so much guilt for her. She was such a lovely and kind-hearted person. She didn't deserve this. And neither did my brother. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to ruin anyone's life. 

Why would Fatimah do this? I hated her. I had never despised someone as much as I currently loathed my sister-in-law. How dare she do this to my family? I didn't know what to do. Should I tell my brother? And ruin our family. Zayn loved Fatimah. Who was I to break his heart? And they were going to have a child together. My head was hurting a lot from all the thoughts whirling inside. 

I stopped and groaned. The pharmacy was in the other direction. How did I manage to go the wrong way? I had lived here my whole life and I didn't even know my way to the local pharmacy. What an idiot I was. I turned back around and as I passed back their house, I kept my head down and my eyes looking away for fear I would see them again. 

In the pharmacy, there was a long queue. I needed to get the medicine that the doctor had prescribed to Charlie. We had finally managed to get hold of his parents. But they still didn't seem to be bothered. I felt so sorry for Charlie. My parents wouldn't leave my side if that sort of thing had happened to me. But over the last three days Charlie's parents had been there for probably a total of 30 minutes. I had only met his parents a few times and they had always seemed nice to me. They used to be very welcoming towards me. But now that I actually thought about it, their relationship had seemed to be a bit off recently. I could tell by the way Charlie used to speak about it sometimes although he had never straight out mentioned it.

I shook my head off and handed over the prescription.The pharmacist told me that it would take an hour or so. No point in waiting around. I left the pharmacy and headed to the hospital. They said they were going to be discharging him soon. The police had already questioned me. But I didn't have much to say. I couldn't remember much. Charlie had his wallet stolen and his watch. Which might not seem like a lot but when you take into account that it was an Gucci watch which he'd got for his birthday last year and his wallet contained some cash in it plus all his credit and debit cards in it, then yeah...it was a lot. 

Walking to the hospital, I was suddenly filled with anger. How could Fatimah do that to Zayn? After everything he had done for him. I had always thought they were the perfect couple. Life lesson learnt. What you perceive isn't always true. How could people do that kind of a thing without a moments thought? Did three whole years mean nothing to her? How would I tell Zayn? My brother was a good guy and he didn't deserve this. How long had this stupid affair been going on? I felt like crying now. I couldn't even imagine thinking about how my brother would feel like. 

I had been so occupied with my thoughts, I didn't even realise I had reached the hospital. I walked up to the ward where Charlie would be. 

Charlie was sat up in bed with a book in his hand. He smiled at me and I felt at ease. 

"How you been?"

"Good, should be getting discharged tomorrow." I sat next to him on the head and asked him how the hospital was. I tried to mention his parents but he seemed to be avoiding the topic. It seemed like his relationship with his parents had deteriorated a lot recently and I didn't really understand why. He seemed to like keeping quiet about his family life. 

"What's wrong, Mali?" 

I was confused. 

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"You're scrunching your eyebrows. Is everything okay?" I wasn't ready to tell anything about what I had recently found out so I smiled, 

"Just worried about you." 

He raised his eyebrow but I think he knew I was lying. He knew me well enough to understand when I didn't want to say anything. 

Just as I was about to leave, his mother walked in. She looked me up and down. I felt intimidated. 

"Hi, Mrs Kearney. How are you?" She nodded curtly. It was weird. She was normally very kind towards me. Although I hadn't seen her in a long time. 

"I see you're taking very good care of my son." 

"Yeah, well, he is my best friend." 

She muttered something under her breath but I didn't quite catch what it was. I was rather shocked by her actions. I knew there was a strain on their relationship with Charlie. But it seemed like they had gone completely cold. It had been several months since I had seen either of Charlie's parents but I didn't realise just how much someone could change over that time period. They had changed a lot, his mother certainly. And they were treating Charlie really badly. How could someone do that to their own child?