Chapter 18 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

I hadn't heard from Zayn in days. Ever since that day I had spoken to him I felt awful. O had ruined my brother's life. But worst of all I was hurt. Hurt that my own brother had kicked me out of house. And he hadn't believed me.

I also hadn't spoken to Charlie but I just didn't want to. I had been skipping school the last few days. I never realised how easy it was to truant. For the past few days I had called in to school pretending to be my mum and the receptionist had believed me. And for the school day I spent it in the central library trying to revise but I couldn't. I had my exams coming up but this whole situation was bothering me.

Charlie had called and texted a few times since my disappearance from school as had several others but I just didn't want to speak to anyone. My mum had noticed something was off with me and had asked me. I didn't know what to say so I had said I was fine. But I wasn't. My mum wasn't one to pry though. When I wanted to tell them my mum knew I would.

I hadn't ever thought about how the situation would impact my parents. I mean they adored Fatimah. Treated her like a daughter. What a selfish human being I was!

I put the pen down and sighed. I didn't seem to be getting anywhere and I was hungry. I closed the books and folders shoving them into my bag. I slung my backpack across my shoulders and headed to get some food to eat. There was a delicious halal Cornish pasties place just outside. It was expensive though but I felt like having a treat.

I swiped my card out and left the library. I rummaged through my bag and pulled out my purse. I walked up to the store and there was one woman in front of me. The woman in front of me handed a note to the employee and turned around.

"Fatimah!"

Oh flip. I stood there in shock not moving.

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Her eyebrow was slightly raised and her tone of voice was cold.

I stuttered. Not knowing what to say. She didn't say anything but crossed her arms and tapped her foot waiting for a reply.

"Wait, what are you doing here?"

"I live here." She gesticulated to a block of flats.

"Wait, what? You live there?"

"Yes well I got kicked out of my own home didn't I? About that, I heard it was you who ruined our marriage. Didn't realise you hated me or your brother for that matter."

I didn't know what to say. Her voice was bitter but I didn't understand why she cared so much. I know it was her.

"Shouldn't you be happy? You can go be with the one you want to be with."

She started laughing then. But it wasn't a nice laugh. It sounded like a witch.

"I wanted to be with Zayn."

I snorted but she ignored me.

"You're a heartless sister you know that. You didn't think to ask me about the situation. You just jumped in, trying to be hero. But you're not. You're pathetic. Just because nobody will ever love you you decided to ruin mine and your brother's marriage."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This was my sister-in-law. The one who had once showered me with so much love was now saying these words to me. How could she even have the audacity to turn this around on me? She was the one that was cheating on my brother. And she actually thought that she was in the right and I was in the wrong.

"You're the one that I saw that day. I know you are - or were or whatever - cheating on my brother. My brother loves you. And I would never hurt him."

"Well you did. And your brother didn't only just love me. I love him as well. He's my husband and the father of my soon to be born child. But you didn't think did you? Now my son or daughter is going to grow up with a broken family. Because of you and your big mouth."

"We have no guarantee that your child is even my brothers."

"Listen to yourself and your conspiracies. I didn't sleep with my boss. I would never do that. You don't get it. You will never understand. You do not understand a marriage. No matter how much I might love another I would never ever have left Zayn."

"Are you even listening to yourself? Not leaving Zayn doesn't justify cheating on my brother."

"Nobody is perfect Malaikah. Not even your brother." At this point Fatimah looked at me with a disappointing nod of her head and walked off leaving me confused.

I had no idea what she meant by that. But I wasn't going to listen to her lies. She bought this upon herself. It wasn't my fault. But deep down the guilt was gnawing at me. I had broken their marriage. And the way Fatimah had said she loved Zayn had seemed sincere and from the heart but I had no clue who was being legitimate.

I felt awful about everything and I knew I was avoiding everything. That's what happened with me. I tended to run away from my problems and never confronted them.

I hadn't let my thoughts wonder to Charlie at all since that day. But now as I sat there biting into my cheese and onion pastie I couldn't stop thinking about him. Like none of it made sense. Was Charlie considering becoming a Muslim? But why hadn't he told me? Surely I would have been his first line of contact. I mean I was his only Muslim friend. Well as far as I was aware anyway. I went to a predominately Christian school and there wasn't much diversity there. And how long had Charlie been contemplating converting? It just confused me. I felt hurt that he hadn't told me. It made sense now thought. Why his parents had a newfound hatred towards me? But why hadn't Charlie confided in me? The thought kept going round and round in my head.

I just didn't know how to deal with any of this.