Chapter 29 | Amal

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

"I'm leaving." 

I hadn't even known what to say when Malaikah had told me. She had confirmed all of it. And I had been so naive and I had managed to convince myself that Yasir was a good person. Yasir was looking at me confused. 

"Leaving to go where exactly?"

"Home." 

"This IS your home." I didn't say anything and walked away from him. I pulled out my suitcase from under the bed and started packing. A few moments later Yasir walked in.

"Amal, what are you doing? Tell me what's wrong." 

 I didn't say anything and continued packing. My mind was going into overdrive and I was scared that if I spoke, I would burst into tears. I never would have thought that Yasir would do something like this. And to think Umar had known all along and let me get into this situation hurt even more. Yasir pulled me towards him and I snapped. He was acting so innocent and I was angry.

"I know. I know about your side girl. I know who she is. I know how she was married but is now divorced because her husband found it. I know everything. And I am leaving. I want nothing to do with a man who would treat me like that. My own husband."

Yasir let go of my arms immediately and his face dropped. 

"Look, I can explain. It wasn't like that. I had no choice to marry you. But over time I fell for you." 

His words stand. 'I had no choice but to marry you'. I had no idea that he had been forced to marry me. I never would have went through with it then. Knowing that I had never been wanted in the first place hit me and a tear fell from my eye. I wiped it away immediately and spoke bitterly.

"That's not an excuse. You had no right to ruin my life."

"I didn't know who you were. To me it seemed like you were ruining my life."

I was lost for words. Ruining his life? I had never thought that my marriage would end up like this. I was happy with Yasir. At least I thought that I was but now it seemed like our entire relationship was built on a lie. 

"You should not have married me then. My father would have found me someone else. I would have found someone else. I didn't need to marry you. Why would you do this to me?"

"You don't understand. I didn't know you. Please, Amal. If my parents find out about this..."

I laughed mockingly. He didn't even care about me. He cared about what his parents would say. I was done. My phone beeped and I glanced at it. My taxi was here and I was done with Yasir.

"Please, you need to listen and understand what I am trying to say. My parents were so disappointed in me. It was marry you or be disowned."

Listening to Yasir, I was shocked. I had no idea this was the type of things that had happened prior to getting married. These were the reasons he married me. All that affection and kindness he had shown in the first few months of our marriage had been fake. An act just for show for his parents. I almost respected that. His love for his parents was so much that he was willing to marry someone he never wanted to. And for a moment I felt bad looking at Yasir. He looked so hopeless and upset. And my heart started to melt. He had just been trying to please his parents. I couldn't fault him for that. Maybe it was a bad idea to leave. We could get through this. Everyone had a past but why was he still with her?

"Okay, if what you're saying is true and you did start to want to be with me, why are you still in a relationship with her?"

He paused for a moment and sighed. 

"I was trying to find a way out but I felt stuck. And I did care about her, I mean we were together for years. But at the same time, I knew you were my wife. And that what I was doing was wrong. I saw how you were and I couldn't bear hurting you and I was getting more and more stuck in this spiral. You have to believe me. Please, Amal."

I didn't know what to reply. He cared about her. I tried to rationalise with myself. He was with her for a long time. But I would be lying with myself if I said that it did not hurt. 

"You should have been honest with me. Malaikah told me that the woman that you were with was..."

I paused and stopped. I couldn't even get the word out. I didn't even know if I wanted the answer or not. He turned his head to one side.

"Who? Malaikah was the one who told you? As in the girl next door. Girl loves to causes troubles for family, caused her brother's relationship to break down and still she gets involved in other businesses." He scoffed and I could tell he was angry. 

I was slightly offended by the way he was insulting Malaikah. I had always thought she was a sweet girl. She had seemed very conflicted about her decision to tell me. It wasn't like she had actively sought out to hurt her family. 

"It doesn't matter who it was. She said that your...I don't even know what to call her...that she is...pregnant. Is it true? And is there a possibility that...well...you know?"

"No....no...of course not. That child is not mine. We were barely spending time with one another any more. I wanted...want... a family with you."

I didn't even know what to think. I stopped packing and just collapsed on to my bed. I so badly wanted to give him another a chance. I loved him. But once a cheater, always a cheater right?