Chapter 24 | Malaikah

Author's Note

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu hu everyone!

I recently have started a blog and I would really appreciate it if you could check it out.

www.amuslimgirlsblog.com

Please remember to vote, comment and share! JazakhAllah Khair!

-----------------

Wait, what? Had I heard that right?  I stood there, staring at Charlie. I had nothing to say, 

"Malaikah? Are you going to say something?"

For some reason, my body has turned away and my feet were leading me away. Charlie could not like me. This was not allowed. It would never be possible. I expected Charlie to follow me but he didn't and as I walked further and further away from him, my heart started to feel heavy. 

I reached home quicker than usual and was greeted by my mother.

"I made your favourite food to celebrate your last exam." I shook my head and mumbled that I wasn't hungry and headed straight upstairs. As soon as I entered the room, I threw my bag on the floor and collapsed on to my bed. Things were just not going well for me lately. I lay there staring at the clock, watching the seconds go by. I don't know how much time had passed when my mother walked in with a plate of biryani. Immediately, a rush of guilt engulfed me. My mum must have spent so much time making my food and I had just disregarded it. I smiled at my mum and thanked her for bringing my food. 

For some reason I started to think of Charlie. I knew why I had reacted like that when he had admitted it to me. Because whether I chose to say it or not, I knew I had been starting to fall for Charlie months ago. I just could never bring myself to tell him because no matter what, we had no future together. 

"How's Zayn?" I had wanted to speak to him but time had just flown away. Zayn and Fatimah were not married, well in terms of Islamically anyway. They still had to go through all the relevant channels in terms of their marriage in the eye of the UK. I couldn't believe that I had caused this. I had caused an entire family to breakdown, and my older brother's no less. My mum sighed and told me not to bother with such things and left my room leaving me to my thoughts. My head was hurting a lot so I decided to head out for a walk to get some fresh air.  

As soon as I stepped out the door, I regretted it. Amal was standing at their front door. I turned around to go back into the house but the front door had slammed shut behind me. I rummaged around my pockets for my house key but there was nothing there. I remembered that I had left my keys in my school bag. Great! Amal still hadn't noticed me so I reckoned I could make a run for it. As I headed down the pathway, I heard a man's voice. I knew who it was immediately. I heard arguing and stopped in the pathway of the door.

"Why won't you tell me? I'm your wife." I winced as she said that. I felt like such a despicable person. I didn't know what to say so I walked away hoping that they wouldn't see me.

As I was turning round the corner, my phone started ringing. It was my brother. I answered the phone and as soon as I heard my brother's voice I knew something was wrong. 

"Fatimah is in the hospital."